1997 F150 dome light stays on too long

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006 | 03:31 PM
|
1997 F150 dome light stays on too long

The dome light on my 1997 F150 extended cab sometimes stays on too long after the door is shut. It stays on from 45 to 55 seconds when it acts up. When it finally goes off, you can hear a relay click in the fuse box to the left of the steering wheel. Yesterday, the door ajar light also came on even though all the doors were properly shut. I sprayed WD40 in the door locks today and have not had the door ajar light come on since. The dome light still stays on too long. Is there a timer relay that I need to replace? if so, where is it located? Is there anything else that I need to check? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-12-2006 | 05:44 PM
1997 dome light

I have a 98 and having the same problem to a tee.Will be watching for helpfull ansers.

Old 01-12-2006 | 06:20 PM
I was having that problem and WD-40 fixed it right on up. My brother was having that problem on his Navigator and WD-40 fixed it. That was over 3 years ago and neither of us has had a problem since. My dome light goes off as soon as the door is closed. I did have to spray a bunch of WD-40 in it though. That stuff was running all over the place out of the bottom of the door.

If that isn't the problem, good luck. My dad spent quite a bit on his Ford replacing switches and WD-40 woudl have probably fixed his.

Old 01-13-2006 | 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by S_Gibson
I was having that problem and WD-40 fixed it right on up. My brother was having that problem on his Navigator and WD-40 fixed it. That was over 3 years ago and neither of us has had a problem since. My dome light goes off as soon as the door is closed. I did have to spray a bunch of WD-40 in it though. That stuff was running all over the place out of the bottom of the door.

If that isn't the problem, good luck. My dad spent quite a bit on his Ford replacing switches and WD-40 woudl have probably fixed his.
I think you forgot to mention WERE to use WD-40 to get this problem fixed.
Just check here guys, it'll tell you all about it.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ght=dome+light

Last edited by Erikpn; 01-13-2006 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2006 | 08:55 AM
|
Originally Posted by Erikpn
I think you forgot to mention WERE to use WD-40 to get this problem fixed.
Just check here guys, it'll tell you all about it.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ght=dome+light
I sprayed the WD 40 in the door latch as shown in the posted photos. I then opened and shut the doors 20 or so times. This made the door ajar problem dissappear so I think that no door switch is hung up at the present time. The problem that DID NOT go away is that the dome light stays on too long before it times itself out. It still stays on up to 55 seconds, which is sort of aggrevating at night. I need someone to tell me if there is a timer relay that I can replace and where it is located on the truck. I looked at some of the older posts and they are talking about a GEM module. Could this be the problem? How much do they cost and what is involved to change one out? Thanks for any help.

Old 01-13-2006 | 10:40 AM
1997 dome light

Sprayed up door latches and key slots on my 98f150 this morning.Drivers door key was very stiff,use remote all time.Problems all gone.Sorry cant help with GEM modeul.

Old 01-15-2006 | 03:15 PM
|
relay replacement

I replaced relays and this fixed my light problem. See my post of !-15-2005 for details.

Quick Reply: 1997 F150 dome light stays on too long