Keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006 | 03:28 PM
|
Keyless entry

I have a '99 f-150 that doesn't have keyless entry. I thought it did and bought a remote for it, but it will not program. The truck aparently never had it. I do have power locks though. Anyway, the question is, what does it take to put it in.

Old 04-05-2006 | 06:39 PM
Search and Ye shall Find.

Really, it is pretty simple. Get any keyless remote kit, or alarm kit and put it in.
Should take about an afternoon, or most of a Saturday morning.

The amount of work is the same for an alarm or a keyless entry so you might just go with the alarm.
Chris

Old 04-05-2006 | 07:32 PM
|
Well I was kinda hoping that with the factory system the wiring is already in place and all i had to do was buy something and plug it in.

Old 04-05-2006 | 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by defective
Well I was kinda hoping that with the factory system the wiring is already in place and all i had to do was buy something and plug it in.
Ive got a 98 and the Ford dealership told me that my truck was wired for keyless entry...but it wasn't. there is someway that you can check to see if it's wired..says in the owners manual, and i tried everything and got nothing..I was told installing a system is not the easiest thing to do. Check to see if your owners manual says anything about how to check for the system.. But good luck man. I wish i had it because my truck is really hard to get into when locked with 2 spare keys..

Old 04-05-2006 | 11:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

If you followed the procedure to add in new RKE fobs, and the locks did not cycle, it is not there.

One thing, when I added one to my '01 SCrew, it took me 3 times to get into programmng mode. I didn't think I did the process any different, but the 3rd time I enetered programming mode, put in the 2 factory ones, and added the 3rd one to the system.

Maybe try it 2 or 3 times, I had to really haul through the on-off sequence to get it to go into programming mode, the amount of time to hit the on-off sequence in the manual, I thought I was within this time frame, but the frist 2 times I obviously was not.

As for adding in a RAP, I recall the Keypad modification the harness was not in the truck like the '00 + trucks, the wires had to be added into the harness. This is for a keypad, but just some info on the topic of complete wiring harness or not.

Old 07-11-2006 | 10:39 AM
Question Adding keyless receiver

Defective, did you have any luck finding a factory keyless entry receiver? I am looking for the same thing for a '97. Is this a plug and play part?

Old 07-11-2006 | 10:58 AM
Any stereo or alarm shop should be able to connect the remote to the windows, as long as the "brain" and remote are properly talking. After i got my alarm it was like $15 a door to connect them to the system.

Old 07-11-2006 | 01:47 PM
The 97-03 and 04-ups are completely different. On the 04-up, if it didn't come with it from the factory, adding it will not be easy unless you go aftermarket. For OEM parts, you'd be better-off taking out an ad in Truck Trader and selling it for one with more options.

-Joe

Old 07-11-2006 | 06:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Friday13
Defective, did you have any luck finding a factory keyless entry receiver? I am looking for the same thing for a '97. Is this a plug and play part?
If you are only looking for the RKE, then adding in a Code Alarm base unit ( the Ford bronze equivelant ) might be the easy place to start. Think about going with the remote start, as it is only in the 50.00 additional range to get a CS-630 unit, vs the CA-130 ( or is that CA-530 ?? ) base unit.

Drop a call into Travis at KCAutoSound. He has an extra fee, where he will setup the unit for your specific MY and truck, and include the wiring directions, if you don't feel like searching here for the DIY remote installs.

Old 07-12-2006 | 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
The 97-03 and 04-ups are completely different. On the 04-up, if it didn't come with it from the factory, adding it will not be easy unless you go aftermarket. For OEM parts, you'd be better-off taking out an ad in Truck Trader and selling it for one with more options.

-Joe
Adding what would not be easy? I'm not sure what you are refering to. On my 2004 STX I have added a Powercode (ford factory) alarm, OEM power mirrors, Power door locks, power windows. Putting in OEM power windows would have cost me close to 200 bucks, but since I don't mind aftermarket I saved 150 bucks.
Adding a Powercode alarm/keyless on a 2004 up is pretty easy.
Chris

Quick Reply: Keyless entry