2001 f150 speedometer and computer

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 f150 speedometer and computer

I have a 2001 f150 sport 4.2L and my speedometer and odometer are not working. I just bought the truck and it was a repo. Also the check engine light is on, so I took it to a couple different places to scan the computer, but the obd2 scanner could not get any readings. When connected the scanner was blank and could not read my computer. Could these two be related to each other? And does anyone have a clue how to fix these?

Thanks

Old 05-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are the other gauges working ?

The odometer could be the cold solder joint problem on the back of the panel.
This is usually an inttermittent problem, but might have given up all together.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...31#post2160931

First thing to work on, would be getting the DTCs cleared.

The places you went to, might want to find some other ones.... If the scanner was blank when plugged in, the thing to check would be the Cigar lighter fuse, which also powers the ODB-II connector.

Get yourself a pdf version of the manual if you don't have a paper one, for ref at :

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

or

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/

Old 05-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Thank you very much! I have been looking for a pdf of the owners manual and could not find one. Yes, the other gauges are working fine. the speedometer will not move and the odometer stays at the same mileage and sometimes has something like this ----------- for a little while instead of the mileage. I have tried to get my computer scanned at a few different places and they all have not been able to get a connection.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chenz
...<snip>....the odometer stays at the same mileage and sometimes has something like this ----------- for a little while instead of the mileage. I have tried to get my computer scanned at a few different places and they all have not been able to get a connection.
The odometer does sound like the cold solder joint problem in the thread linked above. If you are handy with a soldering iron ( i.e. don't make cold solder joints yourself ) then the fix is a quick, but can be a bit time consuming to take the cluster out, and put it back in.

Check Fuse # 3 ( 20 AMP ) CJB ( Central Junction Box = Inside the cab of the truck ).
It is most likely blown, if the scanner is dead. You would think the places that went to scan it would know that the DLC needs to have power to run the scanner, to work correctly ?? This is why I sugegsted getting another place to get the scan done.

Best to figure out what the truck is complaining about with the CEL prior to digging into the Odometer / Speedometer problems. Millage is still being tracked, just not displayed correctly ( at least for what I know at the moment I can say this ).

Let us know what the DTCs are ( not what the guy scanning them thinks they are ).

Old 06-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Thanks SSCULLY! You were right the cigar lighter fuse was blown. I put a new one in and took it to autozone and bingo, it scanned. It's amazing how I asked the people at autozone if it could be a fuse and they said that there was no fuse for the computer to scan. Well I went there and let them know that there is a fuse so that next time someone comes in with the same problem they can check the fuse! The computer came up with 9 errors like camshaft sensor, speed censor, oxygen sensors, and a few others. SO I went home to check under the truck and tucked inside the left frame rail was a wire harness that was wrapped around my gear shifter and apparently had cut like 10 wires! Crazy! SO I unwrapped the wireharness and reconnected the wires and bingo! No more errors! And my speedometer and odometer work perfect. It's crazy how problems can seem so large but yet so simple to fix. Well thanks for all your help and God Bless!

Quick Reply: 2001 f150 speedometer and computer