Driver's Power Window

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006 | 09:13 PM
|
Driver's Power Window

Hi,
Looking for some advice - I've done some trouble shooting on my window, and this is probably going to be more info than you need, but I'll throw it all in so I can get to the heart of the problem. '97 XLT 4.6. Driver's power window got lazy and slow, and then it went up, but hasn't come down since. About 2 weeks ago, I left the window open some in the rain. So, I thought the switch might be bad - so I opened it up and it's all clean - no corrosion visible. To make sure, I took the wires out of the switch and jumped it to see if it would work - nothing. Both with the jumped wires and the switch, I can hear the click from the relay under the dash, but the window doesn't move. Also, the fuse in the box under the hood seems to be good - I pulled that and looked at it. I don't know which fuse is the right one under the dash - but the passenger window works, so I'd have to think they're on the same fuse and therefore, that fuse is good. But am I wrong on that - are they on different fuses? Do you know which fuse it is under the dash? Finally, I saw one post that said if you open the door and try it and the dome light dims a little, it means the motor is probably no good. But when I do it, the dome light does not dim - therefore, according to that post, it wouldn't be the motor.
So to recap, I jumped the switch, the dome light does not dim when I try it with the door open, the fuse under the hood is good, and I get the click from the relay. What else can I try to target the problem? Is this a bad motor?
Thanks for all your help - this is a great site that has saved me alot of money and ensured the job got done right since I've done it myself. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2006 | 10:50 AM
I have the same exact problem as you. I'm chasing it as I type. Have you found anything? I too can hear the click from the relay. When i hit the switch to put the window down I can hear the motor trying. I checked the voltage the motor is getting 12 volts I hope it's not a bad motor because that looks like it won't be fun to change out.

Old 06-27-2006 | 01:30 PM
Just for information sake. I pulled the motor to check it out. The process was much easier than I thought it would be...just drilled the dimples out not the rivets. After I pulled the motor I plugged it back in hit the switch I felt it try but that was it. After I separated it I found the problem. WATER. The motor was water soaked. After pouring out about a half of teaspoon of water it would run when I hit the up button but not the down. So I'll be off to the bone yard for one.

Quick Reply: Driver's Power Window