looking for power connection

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006 | 05:35 PM
|
looking for power connection

I would like to power my radar detector from the overhead console (2001 F-150 Supercrew). How do I remove the plastic cover panel, and what do I look for for a wire to tap into for power? The electric compass/ambient temp gage is up there, so I know it has power available.
Currently, I am using the power connection on the dash, next to the lighter. It appears to be always on, but is interrupted during the ignition start position. I suppose the overhead power for the display is only on when the ignition is in the run position. That would be OK.

Also, where can I tap in to power bed lights that would be tied to the interior cab circuit? That is the one that comes on when you roll the gage dimmer circuit all the way on. The exterior rear cab roof light comes on as well, but that wiring is probably in the roof, so maybe there's better access to that circuit for bed light power elsewhere.

Thanks

Barry

Old 06-22-2006 | 06:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by BarryAdam
I would like to power my radar detector from the overhead console (2001 F-150 Supercrew). How do I remove the plastic cover panel, and what do I look for for a wire to tap into for power? The electric compass/ambient temp gage is up there, so I know it has power available.
Currently, I am using the power connection on the dash, next to the lighter. It appears to be always on, but is interrupted during the ignition start position. I suppose the overhead power for the display is only on when the ignition is in the run position. That would be OK.
The overhead console is where I have mine in my '06 SCrew, and this is where I had it installed in my '01 SCrew.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=107801

This is off when the ign is off if memory serves me correctly ( it is on my '06 ).

Originally Posted by BarryAdam
Also, where can I tap in to power bed lights that would be tied to the interior cab circuit? That is the one that comes on when you roll the gage dimmer circuit all the way on. The exterior rear cab roof light comes on as well, but that wiring is probably in the roof, so maybe there's better access to that circuit for bed light power elsewhere.
Depending on the trim level, the power for the running board puddle lamps are in the lower kick panels of the truck.

The thread that I can find straight away, with the color coding on this is :
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...=running+board

I am trying to find if I have the page(s) from section 89 from a 2001 EVTM already on this server or my pbase account, to show where it should be.
Check the text, the descriptions are fairly detailed.

Steve

Old 06-27-2006 | 02:18 PM
|
Thanks Steve.

For the V-1 hardwiring, the overhead consol removal instructions and wiring seems clear.

However, for the bed lights, reading the thread on the courtesy light wiring had my head spinning. WOW. What a confusing mess by the manufacturer.

I'm still not really sure where the best place to tap for the bed lights would be, but it sounds like if I want to tie them to the factory roof cargo light, I should look behind the pass side rear pillar.

Anyways, thanks again for your help.

Barry

Old 06-27-2006 | 02:30 PM
Global Moderator &
Yea i would look in the back right corner of the cab, thats where the power supply is, and i know that the left side kick panel has alot less wires running under there then the passenger side does.

I have hard wired my detector into the compass, ill have to dig up my old thread to see what color wires it was. I like it because it turns off with the truck, and comes on with the truck. Only thing i dont like is its interrupted when i start up, so for instance if i turn the key to on, then wait 5 seconds before i start, the detector comes on, then i start the truck, detector off, then back on. I dont know, but im sure its not good for my radar to be on off on like that.

Yea here it is.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=220090

-Patrick

Old 06-27-2006 | 02:44 PM
|
Perfect. Thanks.

Any ideas on where the existing wiring exits the cab? I'd prefer not to drill another hole to run the wires from inside the cab to the bed for lights. But it might be easier than running a wire all the way up to the front.....

Barry

Quick Reply: looking for power connection