Loose Fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loose Fuse?

I have been having problems with a loose fuse. I know that the loose fuse is the problem, because I can hold the fuse in and the circuit is getting power. As soon as I let go of the fuse the power cuts off. Is there anyway to make the fuse held tighter so it gets a good cennection at all times?

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
One thing you can try, short of replacing the fuse box.

If you take a pair of small needle nose pilars, and slightly bend the metal in the socket towards each other ( close the distance of the gap ) it might help.

I would be curious to know why you have a distroted fuse socket in a 2000 MY truck.
That is not normal, and seems like an overload condition that is warping the socket, but this would take a larger then normal fuse in the socket to do ( please tell me you did not do this ).

Old 08-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts
Pick up some fuse taps from Radio Shack.

They wrap over the outsise of the fuse legs and will make a tighter friction fit. Of course, they might have been what stretched the contacts out in the first place if they had been used previously.

Steve

Old 08-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried just bending the fuse legs a tiny bit in opposite directions and so far this has worked great. Thanks for the replies, I will be trying all of those options next if the current attempt does not work.

I have no idea why fuse socket is distorted. I bought the truck used with 85,000 miles on it 2 years ago. I don't know what the first owner did. The fuse currently in the slot is the correct fuse (20 amp for the cigarette lighter/OBDII port, fuse slot 3) and I haven't changed this fuse since I have had the truck. Maybe the first owner put a larger fuse in there at some point in time and changed it back later. Your guess is as good as mine as to why it is distorted.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jre86
...<snip>...The fuse currently in the slot is the correct fuse (20 amp for the cigarette lighter/OBDII port, fuse slot 3) and I haven't changed this fuse since I have had the truck. Maybe the first owner put a larger fuse in there at some point in time and changed it back later. Your guess is as good as mine as to why it is distorted.
Sounds like what Steve mentioned. That is a common place to install a add a fuse, and they might have gotten the type that installs on the existing fuse, rather then type found at Napa :

Steve

Quick Reply: Loose Fuse?