Brake and backup lights dont work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006 | 11:42 PM
|
Brake and backup lights dont work?

my Brake lights dont work, but my running lights do! i dont have any flashers in the rear either all my fuses seem to be ok, i have checked them and reseated every single on too. Basically running lights work in rear, all front lights everything in cab fuses are all good, just no brake lights or back up any ideas?

Old 10-01-2006 | 04:56 PM
This sounds like a problem I'm having now too. Did you find a solution?

Old 10-02-2006 | 02:37 AM
Technical Article Contributor

No brake lights, is this just on the rear tail lamps, or including the CHMSL ?

No turn signals, is this with both the MFS ( turn signals ) and the hazzard switch, or did you just test with the MFS ?

When you say all fuses seem ok, which specific ones did you check ? Please note the fuse box and fuse # ( with it being a '99 - '03 ) ( sledman62 need the info that should be in your profile, MY, Engine, Cab style, trim level ).

Old 10-02-2006 | 07:43 AM
My rig is a 99 f-150xlt extended cab 4x4 flareside 5.4 V8. i checked every single fuse in the box and all are good. I have no brake lights at all, including the cab mounted third brake light.The rear turn signals don't work, but the fronts do,same with the hazard flashers,which flash at the same speed as usual,front only, but the turn sigs flash at a faster rate than they usually did.On a side note, my wipers will come on at weird times,like once or twice every few hours of operation of the truck,wipe once then go off again.This is why I'm leaning towards a bed MFS switch.Am I off base?I need to try and figure this out as the nearest "stealer" or any service shop for that matter, is 2 hrs drive away, and thats a real pain to havta take a day off work to get the problem figured out, then another to get the part replaced,after they order it from thier supplier,etc,etc.

Last edited by sledman62; 10-02-2006 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-02-2006 | 01:40 PM

I asked a specific question, "every single fuse in the box" does not tell me anything.
How did you check every single fuse in the box ?
BTW, you do know there are 2 fuse boxes, right ? ( why do you think I asked for : Please note the fuse box and fuse # ? )

If you do not want to take the time, to make a note of exactly what you checked, and why ( i.e. why would you check the fuse for the PCM, HO2S, etc all, when this has nothing to do with the brake / turn signals ? ), why would we be taking the time here ?

At this rate, it is going to take longer then 2 hours here, so just save the time, and take it to the service place.

Old 10-02-2006 | 02:06 PM
At the time I was checkiing this out I did not have a chart telling me which fuses were for what so I pulled each one and looked at it to see if one was blown,which they were not.This was in the fusepanel inside the truck. I went out today and bought a 12v light and also checked the BOO switch and it appears to be working. When I depress the brake pedal I get a light.
I am not a mechanic and I am doing my best to give you the info you may need. If you dont want to help me out,and judgeing by your last post,thats what it sounds like,then thanks anyways.

Old 10-02-2006 | 03:42 PM
did you check your fuse box under the hood?

Old 10-02-2006 | 03:47 PM
No I didn't Can you tell me which fuse location would be related to this problem.I don't have a referance chart.Or is it listed on the fusebox cover?I'm at work right now so I can't go and look.

Old 10-06-2006 | 01:57 AM
Well I have a 2000 F-150 5.4L so I dont know that it will be the same but if your in front of your truck facing the widshield check fuse #3 on the far right going down the top one being #1 it should be a 30A fuse. Also check # 19 and 20 also on the right side these should be 2nd from the last. They are right next to each other. they are 10A.

Last edited by Napolian1; 10-06-2006 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-06-2006 | 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by sledman62
I am not a mechanic and I am doing my best to give you the info you may need. If you dont want to help me out,and judgeing by your last post,thats what it sounds like,then thanks anyways.
Yea Sled, that was smooth. Ask for help, and along came a guy who's been here for 4 plus years and over 3000 posts to his credit. What do you do? Give him the brush off. FYI, he is, well, was trying to help you, but you seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder.

Everyone who prances in here looking for help, needs to learn that holding your breath, getting mouthy or in some other way showing a lack of maturity or appreciation will get you nowhere fast.

If the info he asked for wasn't needed, it probably wouldn't have been asked for.

Have a little patience, show others the same respect you would like to get, and you'd be amazed at how much you can learn/fix/install/modify, etc. from vets on this site. Act like a turd and you get the finger, see how it works?

SL

Last edited by snappylips; 10-06-2006 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-06-2006 | 08:01 AM
Thanks for the advice on internet ettiquete. If I offended anyone then I am truely sorry.But,in my defense, I didn't just prance in here,I do know how to use the search feature,and I may not have 3000 posts here,but I still know when I'm being flamed.I'll go back to learning here by listening instead of talking,and ask my questions eleswhere.

Old 10-06-2006 | 09:27 AM
Thanks for the advice on internet ettiquete. If I offended anyone then I am truely sorry.But,in my defense, I didn't just prance in here,I do know how to use the search feature,and I may not have 3000 posts here,but I still know when I'm being flamed.I'll go back to learning here by listening instead of talking,and ask my questions eleswhere.
Reread my last post.

Old 10-06-2006 | 10:09 AM

Didn't offend me, I just gave up trying to help, as you did not want to put any effort into the process.

If you do know how to use the search feature, and don't have a paper copy of the owners manual, you could have searched and found where to get a pdf copy of it. Or just backed up about 10 day, and found :
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...=owners+manual

This would have gotten you to the point of knowing there is more then one fuse box.
And just for your information, I was not Flaming you. If you got that from my post, you really should read what is written, not what you inferr from the text. A flame would have had personal attacks in it. There were NONE !

Quick Reply: Brake and backup lights dont work?