Adding a Second Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006 | 12:33 AM
|
Adding a Second Battery

Looking for input on a location where other F150 owners have mounted a second battery.

Old 10-01-2006 | 01:09 AM
It's tough to find a place in under the hood. I just bought a boat battery enclosure, and put it in the work box in the bed... although routing the wires is a little of a PITA.

Old 10-01-2006 | 12:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Some have gone with the full kit like the Wrangler NW kits ( these use Optima 34/78 or Odyssey PC 1200 batteries only, no option for adding a second "standard" battery ).

The Wrangler kits are about 300.00, but provide everything needed for the kit all in one part.

http://www.wranglernw.com

Battery Tray kits -> second page, about half way down name :
Dual Battery Tray Kit for Ford Expedition & Lincoln Navigator 1997-2002 , F-150/F250LD 1997-2003

I cannot find the pictures that someone did with a '99 ( think it was a '99 ) where they got a battery tray from the bone yard, and installed it on the other side ( that is what the pic would help with, it was a bit of modding to get done ), and then purchased the parts for hooking up the second battery.

The other option you have, is to put the second battery under the bed, along the frame where Neal put his primary battery.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...4-793-6940.jpg
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...4-793-6941.jpg
He is in Windsor, so this install is made for under the worst on road conditions ( snow, salt, highways that seem to rival DET ), but his truck is a 4x2, so off roading is not part of the deal.

Guess it depends on the answers to a few questions :
1. Do you want to be able to use any make / model battery
2. Do you feel comfortable with a complete DIY, or would you rather have a full kit with instructions.
3. Do you have a preference where the second battery is at ?

akheloce's install uses a similar concept to Neal's, but I don't know that I would want to take the bed space, or chance ( if used similar ) hitting the battery with something in the bed. I load stuff in the bed, and don't want to worry about needing to be carful when putting the load in.

Old 10-01-2006 | 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
akheloce's install uses a similar concept to Neal's, but I don't know that I would want to take the bed space, or chance ( if used similar ) hitting the battery with something in the bed. I load stuff in the bed, and don't want to worry about needing to be carful when putting the load in.
Yeah, I have a work box, truck box, whatever you want to call it in the bed (the below the rail type) and secured it in there. I would not suggest using the setup I used without it for the reasons sscully stated.

Old 10-01-2006 | 06:24 PM
Global Moderator &
ive seen people relocate the battery to under the bed instead of the spare, like lightnings that want to help distribute weight out from front to rear. I will probably make a box that goes under my bed since i have alot of room after removing factory muffler. I plan on dualing out my exuast soon too, so ill just make the dump tips a little shorter.

I dont have a good pic right now, but ill take one in a little bit.
-Patrick

Last edited by Patman; 10-01-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-02-2006 | 12:06 PM
I would love to have a 2nd battery also, I always drain my factory one down quite often, I usually have the key turned back when I wash my truck, and have it on with the doors open when i'm detailing inside, so it would be nice to have a 2nd battery. I might just put mine in my bed, like the back right or left corner, build a custom enclosure for it and be happy.

Quick Reply: Adding a Second Battery