shutting off dome with open door?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shutting off dome with open door?

Is there a possible way to have my doors open and turn the dome off? rolling the dimmer switch all the way down doesn't turn the lights off like they did in my Explorer, Is there a way I could make a custom switch under the dash?

Old 10-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The easiest way is to just flip the latch closed with your thumb. Just remember to pull the handle to release the latch before you try to slam the door shut.

-Joe

Old 10-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are not doing it all this often, you can just pull the Interior Lamp Relay when you have the doors open.

This is kind of a Chevy on cinder blocks method of doing it, but it is real quick and easy.

The other thing you could do if you wanted a switch is to use the same concept for the Fog Lamps on with Low and High beams thread :
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=233430

With either method, rather then attach the ground pin to ground directly, route this via a switch, so you can shut off ground to the relay coil, and this will disable the relay itself, just like unplugging it.

Don't know if you feel like doing this type of mod on your truck, if so we can get into it with a bit more detail.

Joe's way is just as easy also.

Let us know.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts
Old 10-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Ive always just rolled the latch back. The switch idea is pretty neat tho. might have to do that someday when im bored... And ive tried to close my door plenty of times with the latch rolled back, but i tend to not slam my doors anyways so its not a problem.

We worked on a dodge at school and it pinged/beeped even if the keys were out of it, if the door was open. PITA but then again we were pulling alot of dash components out, so i think the truck thought the headlights were on....

And EDIT: Scully i pmed you
-Patrick

Last edited by Patman; 10-02-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm, dingers not really a bother to me but i'll keep that in mind. I'd like to make a on/off switch like that in the door panel.

Quick Reply: shutting off dome with open door?