How to use the truck button for remote start

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to use the truck button for remote start

I acquired a Lincoln Zephyr Key a while back to use for my 06 Supercrew F-150. Its the one picture below, with the remote built in to the key:

I wanted to use the trunk button with an aftermarket remote start system. I used a Bulldog system. It requires a single negative pulse to activate. Just about every remote start system requires the same negative pulse.

First I probed the keyless entry module on the back wall while pressing the trunk button. It is aware of the button, but has no easy output. I believe it does put something out on the bus output, but that would be expensive to interface to.

I researched a little and found that most ford products, 1998 and later, can use the same remotes(one of the exceptions is the contour). So I went to the junkyard and got a RAP module out of a 1998 Taurus. It is located above the gas pedal and has a bank of relays attached to it that have to be removed first. Using the following diagrams, I wired the module for power, power when running, ground and trunk output. There are two constant power wires. These both need to be hooked up. The "power when running" wire should be wired to constant power through a SPST toggle switch. There is a single ground wire, ground it. The trunk output is a negative pulse. This is perfect for a remote start system and can be wired directly to it. This is a low power output, so to use it for a lock actuator on a camper shell or bed cover you would need a relay.

To program your remotes to the RAP module, switch the toggle switch on and off eight times, stopping at the on position. To aid in programming you can attach a volt meter to the "unlock all doors" output(red lead on +, black on the output). After the switch is toggled eight times, this output will pulse once. My digital meter didn't have time to register, but the display briefly changed to OL indicating that the programming mode had initiated. Press a button on the first remote. The output will pulse again to indicate succesful programming. Press a button on the next remote, the output will pulse again. When finished programming, move the toggle switch to off, you shouldn't ever have to use it again.

Last edited by patrickoneal; 10-29-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the gr8 info.

Quick Reply: How to use the truck button for remote start