Dark headlight switch is bothering me

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Well.... yeah... but...

check out that bulb... like I said... its the size of a 5mm LED... I have never noticed something like this in say,... Pep Boys.... but I suppose its possible you could order it???

Check out the pic....

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?num=13288

Dumb Green Pic...

Old 03-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
.... man they make green led's right? lol

Old 03-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Thats whats so weird...

All the other switches in the cab use green 3mm LEDs... so whay did they have to use a bulb in that location?..... just seems dumb.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:10 AM
CheapER?

so since u seem LED savvy. to swap the bulb to an LED is simple as soldering right? or did i read something about a resistor?

Old 03-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Added...

I am NOT an electronics guru... but here is what I did...

When I took apart the passenger side windows control for example, I sort of examined the electric "path". (LEDs are POLARITY sensative....) In the path was a resistor. I noticed all the switches had some resisior... and upon read some other how to articles onn the web.... realized they don't handle all the juice on the circut. To test that.... I just took one of the LEDs that I purchased (new)... and placed it on a 9volt battery (not 12volts in the truck... and noted that first it got hot,... then smoked... and the color started to change... then it died.... within about 2-3 minutes... tested that same process with one of the LEDS (green - used) from a ford switch... same affect.

SO.... when I took out that bulb... I felt I needed a resitor in the circut... so I "stole" one from one of the extra switches I bought on ebay (my initial test materials)... AND PAID ATTENTION TO HOW THE RESISTOR WAS PLACED IN THE CIRCUT>>> MEANING>>> look at POLARITY...

And when I hooked it up with a resitor... put the 9volt battery to the circut.... LED lights... but no heat.... would light for 10 minutes... so all seems good...

Old 03-08-2007, 01:58 AM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
good info here, thanks for sharing

Old 03-08-2007, 01:58 AM
got a piccy of the resistor? aint seen a lil one ever!

Old 03-08-2007, 02:07 AM
Sorry..

I don't have one of the actual one I used (I was so pissed at having to replace the bulb)...

but if you haven't EVER seen one...

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

(its a google IMAGE search for resistor... )

Old 03-08-2007, 08:26 AM
too many styles put em back! lol

Old 03-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Thumbs up NightTime

Here are the results...

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...610&anum=13288

I am on that.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:39 AM
wait isnt the switch suppose to illuminate too?

Old 03-09-2007, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by undeaddemon
I am NOT an electronics guru... but here is what I did...

When I took apart the passenger side windows control for example, I sort of examined the electric "path". (LEDs are POLARITY sensative....) In the path was a resistor. I noticed all the switches had some resisior... and upon read some other how to articles onn the web.... realized they don't handle all the juice on the circut. To test that.... I just took one of the LEDs that I purchased (new)... and placed it on a 9volt battery (not 12volts in the truck... and noted that first it got hot,... then smoked... and the color started to change... then it died.... within about 2-3 minutes... tested that same process with one of the LEDS (green - used) from a ford switch... same affect.

SO.... when I took out that bulb... I felt I needed a resitor in the circut... so I "stole" one from one of the extra switches I bought on ebay (my initial test materials)... AND PAID ATTENTION TO HOW THE RESISTOR WAS PLACED IN THE CIRCUT>>> MEANING>>> look at POLARITY...

And when I hooked it up with a resitor... put the 9volt battery to the circut.... LED lights... but no heat.... would light for 10 minutes... so all seems good...
most LED's run on five volts with a lower current(amps) rating. The resister your talking about drops the voltage down to 5 volts, depending what all is inline on that circuit will detormine what ohm rating resister you need, a shortcut is to look at similar light on another panel. If you give me the color bands in order i can tell you what rating it is and help you locate some.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Cool..

Good to get the voltage info for the LEDs...

Sucks,.. and stupid of me not to get a pic of the resistor I used... but it is one from a windows switch... I can't remember the colors of the stripes...let alone the order... See I dont want to disassemble the Headlight Switch again. It uses plastic studs from the actual plastic face. Those studs are melted down... to lock the front face to the main housing, effectivly making the entire unit a "non-service" component. So I cut off the melted area... then remelted what I could when I sealed it... I don't think I would survue another disassembly.

Thanks Though...

I still have the cruise control buttons to mod.... not sure what I'll find inside those suckers....

Old 03-09-2007, 11:56 PM
lol i thought about doin the blue led's too but then i said F that when i remembered my dash and climate control are green too.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:07 AM
I just recieved my nu image...

Gauge and heater kit. They should be Blue by The end of this weekend.... well... at lease the gauges....

Quick Reply: Dark headlight switch is bothering me