Dark headlight switch is bothering me

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dark headlight switch is bothering me

Has anyone ever replaced the bulb or bulbs inside the headlight switch of a 2000? I've removed the assembly and the thing looks solid to me, I even broke it trying to get inside...Superglued it together and tried to live with it but it just annoys me i guess. Its a 2000 f150 and if it helps I have no factory fogs and as opposed to what others say on this site the *** cannot be pulled out or back as it would if I had factory fogs. Thanks guys

Old 01-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Been there, done that. My sons was the same way. He doesn't have fogs either but I don't remember if the switch did pull out or not. Were you able to remove it from the dash ok?
I simply replaced the switch with one from the scrap yard.
I assume you have read how to do the removal.
bullseye670......................

Old 01-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Now that you have broken the switch, either try the suggestion above, and do a bone yard trip, or part with the USD$ 65.11 and get a new one from one of the big 3 online parts sites.

Had you been a bit more careful, you would have been able to take the switch apart, and replace the bulb inside the switch.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Yeah I was hoping it wouldnt come to buying more stuff but oh well. Now I read on the site that there is a small hole under the *** that can be used to remove it right? Well I went looking for it and pulled to hard i guess cause i pulled the *** off, breaking the small clip that held it in. So anyways if you don't mind SSCULLY or anyone else who knows whats the next step to get to those bulbs...i might as well keep playing around with the broken switch so I dont break another one. Thanks guys

Old 01-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Umm, what bulb? I'm not aware of a bulb to illuminate the light switch on an F-150. Rangers and Explorers, yes, but not an F-150....

-Joe

Old 01-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Yea, its supposed to light up. My obsesiveness caused me to replace the one in my 97'.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:20 PM
If we're talking about the LED that illuminates with the ignition to show you where it is, the schematics for a 97 show it, the schematics for a 98 do not, the schematics for a 99 show it, but indicate it as not used, and the schematics for a 2000 do not show it. I don't recall my '00 ever lighting up.

If we're talking about the one that lights up with the parking lights, that's a whole different ball of wax....

-Joe

Old 01-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
..<snip>...If we're talking about the one that lights up with the parking lights, that's a whole different ball of wax....

-Joe
That is what I was talking about, where it illuminates the icons around the main headlamp switch.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:52 PM
yeah the icons (ie the autolamp, parking lamp or p, off or o symbols, etc) definatly light up, cant remember if the white line on the *** or symbol above the dimmer was lit too though. anyways no big deal just a pain...bullsye was it a hard part to find? its not going to be worth it if its too hard to get because im sure it will go out soon after i install it if i pull it off some other truck.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Aaah, OK... the one in my Explorer glows with the ignition... that's why I was confused. (I even ran out in the 15-degree temps last night to look at my own!!)

Since we're on the same page now, lemme see what I can dig up...

Couldn't find anything specific in any of the manuals... It's been years since I had mine out, so I can't recall what it was, but IIRC, I think the LED was mounted right to a circuit board at the back of the assembly... I'm not so sure you could replace it separately.

-Joe

Old 01-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Seems like every scrap yard has them. Just be sure to use care removing it so you don;t break it. I had one come apart on me before but was also able to glue it back. It doesn't take much for the face to come off the back section.
Make sure to do as they say, turn the **** to on, use a real small screewdriver to pry the **** off, rotate the **** 180 degrees, reinstall, turn to off then on, the locking tabs will retract and you can pull out "carefully".
Sometimes it helps to assist those tabs with a screwdriver or push from the rear side.
They aren't that much from the scrap yard either.
Ussually they'll mark it and if it don't work they'll swap it for another.
bullseye670................

Old 01-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Sounds good thanks for all the help guys

Old 03-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Question Whats Inside....

I took apart that headlight switch...

F^@:!

so you have to break open the plastic melted tabs..

The Fog Light (amber) IS and LED easy to replace..

HOWEVER... what lights all the icons...is NOT.... the engineer that designed this part is an idiot. Its actuall a very small soldered - on bulb...(about the size of a 5mm LED).... thats right.. a regular incadescent style bulb.... but wait for it .. wait for it.... (hows it green you are wondering...??) it has a little GREEN RUBBER CONDOM on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..

Seriously.... WTF Ford.. why?

Did I ask Why?

Old 03-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Yeah, the light bulb with a condom on it is a pretty common thing... it's on all the bulbs in the instrument panel that aren't white... switches, *****, etc... I've replaced them in some of the switches in my Explorer... talk about expensive!!! Not to mention a royal pain in the butt....

-Joe

Old 03-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by undeaddemon
I took apart that headlight switch...

F^@:!

so you have to break open the plastic melted tabs..

The Fog Light (amber) IS and LED easy to replace..

HOWEVER... what lights all the icons...is NOT.... the engineer that designed this part is an idiot. Its actuall a very small soldered - on bulb...(about the size of a 5mm LED).... thats right.. a regular incadescent style bulb.... but wait for it .. wait for it.... (hows it green you are wondering...??) it has a little GREEN RUBBER CONDOM on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..

Seriously.... WTF Ford.. why?

Did I ask Why?
so your saying if i take mine apart, i can replace that bulb if im ambitious enough to solder?
*looks at fingers*

Quick Reply: Dark headlight switch is bothering me