Electrical trouble with my 05 F150

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical trouble with my 05 F150

I power washed underneath my hood briefly to remove some mud. As soon as I began to drive my truck I had a 'check charging system' message. Continued to drive myself home and all of my lights, cluster, interior power shut down however, the engine ran for another minute or so then turned off also. Jump started it and lasted on for less than a minute. Bad Alternator? Could the water short out the alternator? Relays? Fuses? Thanks for any advice!

Old 01-30-2007, 04:06 PM
I had the exact same problem with a Jeep I used to own, All the electrical slowly started to dim and then the engine just shut off, it started once again but slowly died. It turned out to be the alternator, replaced it and everything worked great. Funny though that it happened after a day of mud bogging.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:19 PM
If you can rent a code reader, or get the truck down to the Auto Zone you can scan for the codes and see what the problem really is, when you find this out, give us the code number

Old 01-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Double Post

Last edited by nigdonht; 01-30-2007 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 01-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by nigdonht
If you can rent a code reader, or get the truck down to the Auto Zone you can scan for the codes and see what the problem really is, when you find this out, give us the code number

This would be a waste of time. He has a charging/electrical system fault, not an emissions or engine management problem. He now has a dead battery.

Check/test/charge your battery. Inspect/test your battery and alternator wiring and the serpentine belt (it might be slipping due to getting wet). Test your alternator output. Make repairs as needed.

Keep the power washer away from your engine in the future....

Steve

Old 02-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Bad Alternator.

Did you receive any indication of a low battey (light, level)?

Same thing happed to my S10 before I traded it.

Got the low battery warning on the way home (45 min drive) and charged over night. Same low battery warning on the way to work. 15 mins into driving all lights, radio, etc... died. 5 mins later engine died.

$75 Alternator from Autozone. Luckily this was a top-mount and 3-bolt unit. Unlike the F150 that is hidden pretty well.

Quick Reply: Electrical trouble with my 05 F150