Need Help on wiring Fire and ICE

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007 | 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
If not, then go the relay route, and if the hot in run position is not a big deal use the battery feed ckt, as the wire is already run for you.

The switch part for constant on or with reverse lamps is optional. You seem to have the wiring correct. Just confirm the pin numbers in the diagram above, to the relay type you get ( should be the same, but check them to be sure).
Where can I find the battery feed ckt? I'll use it if it will work. So tap the constant into the relay, ground to body, and splice the reverse light in, then out to the light? This will also make the lights brighter won't it? And if I do this, will I still need to change how my reverse light is run?

Old 04-12-2007 | 11:46 AM
Technical Article Contributor

The Trailer Tow Battery feed is the Orange wire in the 7 pin round adapter.
This is the one ckt o the '04+ that the owner had to install the full size relay into the fuse panel. Don't recall if the 30 A fuse is already installed or not. Check for a 30 A in Fuse position #F106.

Check the relay you get, for the pin assignments, If it is a standard cube / Bosch auto relay this should be the correct numbers and functions.

Take a look at these diagrams, it sounds like what you are describing, and has specific details to what you are trying to do, rather then the generic one above.

The option for the switch, if you want to be able to turn them on, without being in reverse ( i.e. trailer hookups at night ).

If you go to a BoatsUSA or west Marine, you can get a waterproof SPDT switch. I used this for my truck, and have them on my bike for the aux lamps ( cut into the dash, sees all the weather ), and they work great. This is the Carling Switch brand, or they might be labeled Cole-Hersey.

Sorry about spacing out on that last post, I was not paying attention, trying posting and working at the same time, and my posts paid the price :o

Old 04-12-2007 | 12:05 PM
When I bought my truck, there was not a relay or wiring harness for the trailer brake installed. I have them at the house, so I need to install them for this to work correct? It incudes 1 relay and 1 wiring harness.

Then tap the orange wire for a battery feed, and wire in the rest as you mentioned. is there a side that I need to install the relay onto? I am assuming that I need to tap into the reverse lights under the truck, and not at the lights correct? If I did that, would it only work on one side? Sorry for the lack of "knowledge" in wiring...

Old 04-12-2007 | 12:22 PM

That sounds like what you need to install. The relay is noted as a full ISO relay.
The pigtail is for hooking up the E-Brake controller for a trailer, not needed for this project ( that puts power on the blue wire to activate the E-brakes on the trailer ).

The side of the relay question I am not sure what you are getting at.
The reverse lamp circuit you can get from where you have them now on the tail light, or from the trailer tow reverse circuit on the 7 pin adapter. Both do the same thing, and the coil on the relay is ~ 0.10 A load. Not too much at all for the DTR.

The aux lamps you have installed now, I am guessing ( from what I inferred in your post ) you took the wiring from each side, direct to each aux lamp.

Now in the diagram, I show them being wired to each other, and then to a relay. This is functionally a Y in the harness of the output of the relay.
Lamp +12v to 2nd lamp +12V to output of relay.
Lamp ground to 2nd lamp ground to ground.

Is this what you are trying to ask about ?

Old 04-12-2007 | 12:46 PM
I have the halogen bulbs installed in the taillights. There are not any mounted elsewhere. So I have no aftermarket lights installed, just replaced the stock bulbs with aftermarket halogen bulbs. Maybe that was throwing ya off.

As for the relay placement, do I tap into the 'reverse' wire in the tail light, or find it back in the wire loom before it splits off to both lights?
Doing this will make the led bar reverse lights brighter, correct? Being there will be a direct battery feed to them...???

Last edited by luke280; 04-12-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2007 | 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by luke280
I have the halogen bulbs installed in the taillights. There are not any mounted elsewhere. So I have no aftermarket lights installed, just replaced the stock bulbs with aftermarket halogen bulbs. Maybe that was throwing ya off.
Doing this will make the led bar reverse lights brighter, correct? Being there will be a direct battery feed to them...???
My mistake. Those might not be 50W each. might be more like 25 W each give or take.

If you want to, you can follow the diagram above, and clip the wire from the truck to the socket on each side.
Make a wiring harness between the 2 tail lamps, and follow the above wiring digram.
- The other option is trying to find the reverse circuit in the connector area show above, and install the relay there ??
You might notice a brightness increase in them, but as far as putting more light on the ground, that is another thing.

I have never been a fan of those bulbs, aside from the additional load on teh DTR, as this is adding wattage to a questionable reflector design ( 60% of what gets light to the ground ).

The Fire and Ice bar, if you wire that to the reversing circuit on the 7 pin around, you should notice a difference, but I am basing this on 1 A worth of LEDs in a 4" round LED light. There does not seem to be as many leds in the fire & Ice one.
Worth a try, if nothing else, might help out with the load on the DTR,

Sorry, that was my confusion, when you posted about halogen lamps.

Old 04-12-2007 | 08:35 PM
|
just wanted to say thanks guys for the help i got it working today
im not sure why it wouldnt work the first time plugged into the trailer harness but igot it all hardwired and everything works today

Quick Reply: Need Help on wiring Fire and ICE