Need Help on wiring Fire and ICE

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007 | 10:15 PM
|
Question Need Help on wiring Fire and ICE

hey i just bought and installed the fire and ice led. brake light. but im having trouble hooking up the turn signals i cant get them wired up correctly and its not working on my 4 pin trailer harness either. I got them wired up to my parking lights, but i need to get the lights wired up to the brake light, and the turn signals. when i tried to hook them up to my turn signal on my rear lights they did not work

Old 04-11-2007 | 10:07 AM
Technical Article Contributor

For the 4 pin, when you meter them, do the turn signals work.
Try both with the ground pin on the flat 4, and a clean ground under the truck ( bumper bolt should work ) ?
Don't forget those are separate fuses from the truck's turn signals.

When you say you need them wired to the brake lights, and the turn signals, is the Fire & Ice LED Tailgate Bar a 50-50 type turn signal / brake light or is there a separate wire for the brake lights ?

In the flat 4 trailer tow adapter :
Dark Green is the right stop/Turn lamp
Yellow is the left stop/turn lamp
Brown w/ White stripe is the parking lamps
White is ground.

If you need a separate circuit for the brake lamps, you need to run to the cab of the truck for the aux CHMSL lead on the brake switch ( Ford added this as the place to tie in cab Center High Mount Stop Lamps ).

Reverse I would not take from the reverse lamps on the truck. I tried an experiment on my '01 SCrew to see what the DTR would provide power to, and a single 1 AMP draw ( Trucklite LED backup lamps ) would not burn at full brightness. My plan was to use the 7 pin trailer tow adapter reverse circuit, I just did this for others that asked.

The reverse light function if you have a 7 pin adapter, this is the black w/ light green stripe wire on the back of the 7 pin adapter.

Easy place to find it is at the connector for the trailer tow adapter on the driver's side frame rail. Easiest to drop the tire to get to it to make the splice

Sorry for so much info, that may or may not be what you were looking for.

If you can provide some info on the wires from the Fire & Ice LED Tailgate Bar, that would help ( wire & function, color would be good for explaining, but not required ).

Let us know.

Old 04-11-2007 | 10:09 AM

Background info

'04+ MY trailer tow wiring diagram

Found it after posting, figured I'd include it, might be helpful in the thread ??

Old 04-11-2007 | 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Reverse I would not take from the reverse lamps on the truck. I tried an experiment on my '01 SCrew to see what the DTR would provide power to, and a single 1 AMP draw ( Trucklite LED backup lamps ) would not burn at full brightness.
I wired up to the reverse light on my o6. Are you saying that I can make the led brighter by connecting to the 7 pin harness like you did? Might be worth a shot...

Old 04-11-2007 | 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by luke280
I wired up to the reverse light on my o6. Are you saying that I can make the led brighter by connecting to the 7 pin harness like you did? Might be worth a shot...
Well, I will say that the 1 AMP load of the Truck-lite DOT single backup LED light burns much brighter on the 7 pin adapter.
don't know how much load these draw, but I know 1 AMP is too much for the reverse circuit from the DTR.

Worth a try to see if it is brighter on the 7 pin adapter. If it is, you know you had too much of a load on your DTR, and were looking at it giving you grief later.

Clamp meter on each Truck-Lite backup light shows ~ 0.93 AMP draw. Could be a bit off on the clamp meter positioning, or that is what they really draw, and the spec sheet rounds up ??

I did my splices up at the connector, you could go right there ( best to drop the spare to get to it ) or test down by the 7 pin adapter. I did not want my splices that low on the truck ( that is me, not a factual requirement ).

Old 04-11-2007 | 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Well, I will say that the 1 AMP load of the Truck-lite DOT single backup LED light burns much brighter on the 7 pin adapter.
don't know how much load these draw, but I know 1 AMP is too much for the reverse circuit from the DTR.
I failed to mention that I have instaled 50 watt halogen reverse lights in as well. Wonder if it plays in to the situation? So, am I in danger of blowing somthing up if I leave it connected as-is? Would a relay help? I will have to try to wire it up to the 7 pin this weekend.

Old 04-11-2007 | 10:52 AM
|
i trired wiring it to the trailer harness, but i couldnt get the bar to work at all, it wouldnt even turn on i wired it to my parking lights so that way it just stays on all the time now when i have my lights on. i multimetered the output on the trailer harness and it all works im getting power. so i hooked the 4pin to the trailer thing then i mulitmetered the wire up close to the led. bar and it was getting power, but it just wouldnt turn on. and i multimetered the wire at the turn signals on my back lights, but they were giving off a negative signal so it wouldnt be able to work from there??? this should be so simple to install, but its not working right and its making me mad

Old 04-11-2007 | 10:57 AM
|
i know which wires on the fire and ice bar go where, im just having trouble gettin it to turn on and everything at that trailer harness. is it suppose to stay on with your lights and be twice as bright when you brake????i really want to get this workign soon

Old 04-11-2007 | 11:01 AM
Could have a bad light bar. Did it work by pluging it in?

Old 04-11-2007 | 11:06 AM

travis08,
Q1. When you meter the flat 4, and the wire close to the LED bar, what are you using for ground on the meter ?
1.1. The reason I ask is it sounds like the ground for the LED bar is not working, but this is only if you are using a different ground for the meter.

Old 04-11-2007 | 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by luke280
I failed to mention that I have instaled 50 watt halogen reverse lights in as well. Wonder if it plays in to the situation? So, am I in danger of blowing somthing up if I leave it connected as-is? Would a relay help? I will have to try to wire it up to the 7 pin this weekend.
OUCH !! yes, I would say they are not burning at full brightness if you have that much load on the DTR ( reverse circuit in the tail lights ).

I would say long term you could have problems with the DTR going bad, and the reverse circuit not working anymore.

You can do this either way:
1. Using the 7 pin adapter
1.1. Reverse circuit has a specified load of 5 AMPs ( per the trailer tow install guide ).
1.2. Quite a few members here have the same setup with 2 lamps @ 50W each ( ~ 9.2 A load ) on the trailer tow reverse circuit without issue.

2. Relay using Trailer Battery Feed as the supply ( 7 pin orange wire )
2.1. Use this to power the Normally Open Contacts on a relay to the 50W lamps, and the LED bar.
2.2. Only works with the key in the run position in the truck.
2.4. Trailer Battery Feed has a specified load of 11.5 AMPs ( per the trailer tow install guide ).

3. Relay using separate fused ckt from battery.
3.1. This you could size to what ever you wanted it to be.

In #2 & #3 the power is switched via the reverse circuit from the DTR ( this is ~ 0.10 AMP load on the DTR ).
This is similar diagram for the install for #2 & #3

I don't know if any member that wired the 50W lams direct to the 7 pin adapter have had any issues. There are quite a few that have done it this way, so it is no uncommon to run a load greater then the trailer tow directions allow for. The reverse ckt shares a common 20 A fuse ( F10 ) with the trailer parking lamps.

The trailer tow battery ckt has its own 30 A fuse ( F106 )

The above fuse info is for '04+ MY trucks.

Old 04-11-2007 | 11:53 AM
Uhhh, ok. Give me a bit to sipher out what that means. So the brightest way to run both, (and not run into any trouble), is to hardwire the led bar into the 7 pinner, and install a relay for the reverse lights?

To wire in a relay, I need 1 relay, 1 power wire, and a few splices. I run a power from the battery to the relay, then splice the power from the reverselight into the relay, then out to the light, and then the last prong to a ground. Is this correct? and do I need to do the same to the other light, or run a jumper to the other side?

If that is correct, could I use that power wire that I have run from the battery to run some additional bedlights? And would this need a fuse installed? Thanks!

Old 04-11-2007 | 02:12 PM

Cross posting..oops. Need to pay more attention.

Luke you can do as others and splice to the reverse ckt on the 7 pin for the short cut.

The ~ 9.2 A draw + ~ 1 A on the Fire & Ice bar should be good ( total 10.2 A on the 20 A fuse. That is 14 AWG wire for the reverse ckt ).

Don't know if you feel one way or the other about that.

If not, then go the relay route, and if the hot in run position is not a big deal use the battery feed ckt, as the wire is already run for you.

The switch part for constant on or with reverse lamps is optional. You seem to have the wiring correct. Just confirm the pin numbers in the diagram above, to the relay type you get ( should be the same, but check them to be sure).

Last edited by SSCULLY; 04-12-2007 at 01:53 AM.
Old 04-11-2007 | 02:19 PM
use a common 30 amp relay mounted up behind the rear fender shield.
Tap into the backup light lead to operate the relay.
Ground the other end.
Run a new 'fused' at the battery post, #10 power feed back to the relay.
Out of the relay to your hi power backup lights.
Leave the towing circuit unchanged.
You then know what you have and can take care of any problems without it affecting any other circuit.
Just do a good job of connections and lead dress etc.

Old 04-12-2007 | 12:00 AM
|
alright i kinda figured out tonight i will be able to get it working tommrow i just need to know one more lil piece of info if anyone knows
the Fire and ice has 4 wires one has like little x's on it and one has like dashes on it what is the wiring codes for those... what goes where... does anyone know i think i lost my instructions and i would like to have this planned out tommrow so i can just get this thing working

Quick Reply: Need Help on wiring Fire and ICE