2003 Lariat 2wd - no OEM fog lights - Add them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007 | 11:08 AM
|
2003 Lariat 2wd - no OEM fog lights - Add them?

So I now have an STX front valance with the pretty round (and expensive) fog lights. I am told that there is already wiring on the truck for fog lights even though it did not come with them. Anyone tell me where this wire is? (pictures are awesome ).

I am also told that I can just swap out the light switch (auto lights, no fogs though) for one that will control the new OEM fog light setup. Anyone have more details/info on this? (part numbers and pictures make my day ).

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-08-2007 | 04:26 PM
|
*chirp* *chirp*

Old 05-08-2007 | 05:48 PM
|
OK so I searched through 20 pages of Search Results looking for any info other than
Originally Posted by off road dude
its not quit behind the bumper it more or less in front of the wheel well up on the frame and ford might not have put it on all trucks
Anyone? Please I have not taken my bumper off yet but I have gotten under the truck and looked and taken the black flap off the top of the radiator too. Am I going to see these? Or are they maybe not on a 2003 2wd Lariat?

Old 05-11-2007 | 02:12 AM
I am experiencing the same problem too. I am about to buy the Ford fog light / valance kit. I have a 2003 XLT Sport 4.6L, 2WD. It appears to have the fog light wiring behind the current headlight switch in the dash. In fact, there are 2 spare harnesses behind there, one with a black plug and one with an orange one. Not sure what the orange one is, but it is taped back pretty far in the dash. HOWEVER, my issue is that I cannot locate the factory, "pig-tail" wiring that should be somewhere around the headlights or close to the radiator. I am fairly familiar with the wiring around the headlights and there doesn't even seem to be wire leading to where the unused (for now) fog light wiring should be. I have even seen pictures of where it should be and it isn't there! I'm guessing our 2003 models either don't have the stock wiring on the outside(which doesn't make sense b/c it's there behind the switch inside... tan wire and all), it's in a different location than other years, or I'm a complete idiot and it's staring me right in the face and I haven't noticed it. I'm guessing the kit may resolve this issue by tapping into the wire behind the current headlight switch, but that seems like a hassle since my searches have led me to believe that some other people's trucks (non 2003 models) are somewhat plug and play.
I have several accessories already and don't mind running new wire and such, but I guess I'm just missing something here. Plus I want this to look stock. Can anyone help us locate the "factory" fog light wires on our 2003 models? Or is it just non-existent? It would seem that this kit from Ford has not changed over the years and many people's trucks obviously have the wiring already, so logic leads me to believe that the wiring in the 2003 is there somewhere! Someone please help or tell me I'm an idiot because it has been staring at me the whole time and didn't know it!

Old 05-12-2007 | 02:08 AM
Anyone???

Old 05-12-2007 | 06:02 AM
|
Originally Posted by TxTechF150
Anyone???
I guess our posts are worthless to everyone else around this place.

I am working on part numbers and good details on everything I am doing and I will happily send it all your way once I am done.
I am not sure I will post it all on this place though since no one is willing to even answer this thread

Old 05-12-2007 | 05:51 PM
I'm guessing (and hoping at this point) that it's because no one knows about why we can't find the wires on the 2003. I have done extensive searching on here for anything and came up with nothing on it as well. I would think that someone would have done it to theirs, but maybe not. The kit should arrive in a week or so... So, I'll let you know what I can figure out before then or after I get it installed successfully. Congrats on the STX bumper, that will look great!

Old 05-13-2007 | 12:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by PROxac
I guess our posts are worthless to everyone else around this place.

I am working on part numbers and good details on everything I am doing and I will happily send it all your way once I am done.
I am not sure I will post it all on this place though since no one is willing to even answer this thread
Figure something out, and don't help anyone. Good, that is what this forum was built on. Did not realize that there was a group assigned to figuring stuff out, and giving you the information. Maybe it is your turn to figure something out, and post it for others in your situation ? That is how things work.

Maybe it is a case of no one knows 100% on how to do it.

If you would have done a search, I have no less then 10 posts on the topic of adding factory fog option to trucks. all have turned out no go on the ones that I have worked on. If the harness was behind the bumper ( on pass side, part of the same wiring loom as the horn ), the problem became the connector from the BJB to the switch in the cab ( the wire for the fog lamp relay to the switch as not installed ).

Hope you figure it out, and once you do, just post back that you did, and keep it to yourself, so all can see what you expect. Might cut off anyone helping you on anything.

Just as one note of FYI, the fog lamp wire is not a separate connector, it is part of the main headlamp switch connector.

Old 05-13-2007 | 05:03 PM
All of the searches that I did provided great information, but all of those people had the connector. One person even provided a photo of it. My problem is that there is no connector on mine and apparently it is no there on other 2003's. Are you saying that it just doesn't work well for people who didn't get the fog light option from the factory? I'm getting the kit from Ford. I'm hoping that the kit will have the extra wires or harnesses necessary since it comes with an entirely new interior switch with the "pull out for fogs" option. I'm not worried about putting in a new relay and 2 new fuses, but if there is more than that involved, then I may just buy the the valance, lights, and bulb harness separately and wire up my own switch. I really don't want to mess with running new wires to the engine fuse/relay box. Are the fog light wires maybe just hidden somewhere around where the headlight, corner light, horn, and washer fluid sensor split off? Or is it just non-existent on mine? Also, it was no surprise that I checked and there was not currently a relay for the fogs, but adding one would not be hard. Hope that clarifies my issue.

Old 05-13-2007 | 06:58 PM
|
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Figure something out, and don't help anyone. Good, that is what this forum was built on. Did not realize that there was a group assigned to figuring stuff out, and giving you the information. Maybe it is your turn to figure something out, and post it for others in your situation ? That is how things work.

Maybe it is a case of no one knows 100% on how to do it.

If you would have done a search, I have no less then 10 posts on the topic of adding factory fog option to trucks. all have turned out no go on the ones that I have worked on. If the harness was behind the bumper ( on pass side, part of the same wiring loom as the horn ), the problem became the connector from the BJB to the switch in the cab ( the wire for the fog lamp relay to the switch as not installed ).

Hope you figure it out, and once you do, just post back that you did, and keep it to yourself, so all can see what you expect. Might cut off anyone helping you on anything.

Just as one note of FYI, the fog lamp wire is not a separate connector, it is part of the main headlamp switch connector.
I hope you never need any help from me.

Old 05-14-2007 | 10:01 AM

I hope you never need any help from me.
Why ? Are you going to withhold information in a special way ?
You already said you are going to do this for the topic here for everyone, how is that any different ?
..<snip>....I am not sure I will post it all on this place though since no one is willing to even answer this thread
All I said is maybe it is your turn to figure out something, rather then relying on someone else. There are times that things have not been done, and someone has to figure it out. Is there a reason you think this does not apply to you ?

Old 05-14-2007 | 10:23 AM
|
Why ? Are you going to withhold information in a special way ?
You already said you are going to do this for the topic here for everyone, how is that any different ?

All I said is maybe it is your turn to figure out something, rather then relying on someone else. There are times that things have not been done, and someone has to figure it out. Is there a reason you think this does not apply to you ?
It has been done because it is referenced in at least 10 different threads. If I was asking about altezza crap lights or some other trendy BS then there would have been 500000 replies. Because I was asking about something obviously not as cool the only replies were from someone else looking for the same thing I was looking for and then your rude reply. I was an electrician for 9 years so it took me about 30 seconds to figure out how to ADD wiring for these lights but I wanted to use the fooking OEM wires if they were there! I guess that is somehow above your ability to comprehend but then again from your rude attitude I should not expect intelligence or politeness. I have a whole set of wrapped, loomed wiring harnesses made (I spent 20 minutes yesterday with 9005 style plugs, wire, loom, wrap tape, and the soldering gun) so once I get my valance painted it should take me all of 20 minutes to get working OEM looking fog lights (even though they will not be OEM wired or use the fooking OEM switch).
I have been and will continue to take fooking pictures of the whole design, build, and installation and once it is complete I will post then all because maybe there are other decent people who might need to know how to do it. And it is easy to see that there is either no one who know hos to do it or else everyone is an jerk like already demonstrated. So keep your "maybe it is your turn to figure out something" line and stick it up somewhere fun. Or you can gladly come down to Atlanta from the Chicago area and tell it to my face and see what happens. I have figured out plenty and will continue to figure out plenty more than you could ever dream of figuring out.

For those waiting for pics I will indeed get them up along with instructions, wiring diagrams, and finished pics.

Old 05-14-2007 | 10:25 AM

TxTechF150,

The connector being on the truck is very hit or miss. I don't know if it has to do with build location or build date. My '01 XLT had the connectors, but the yellow wire on the main headlamp connector to the BJB ( Battery Junction Box = under hood ) was not installed. I could not figure out where this stopped at ( or maybe I should say gave up too quick ).

If you are talking about the factory kit, there was a screw up in the older directions. Your set might have updated directions, but just in case :
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=120597

That kit is usually a 100% stand alone kit, so all new wires out to the fog lamps, and back int the cab of the truck.

The kit is similar to what you described, just like any after market aux lamp kit, fuses, and a relay. Sounds like you will have no problems getting it installed, it is not integrated into either the BJB or CJB. The main headlamp switch I cannot recall at the moment, if that is included or not.

My '01 fog lamp connectors were just above the where they would be mounted, with a body wiring harness mount holder in the sheet metal just in front of the wheels. Laying on your back, it should be viewable if you position yourself between the bumper and front wheel. The pass side was in the same loom as the horns. Don't be shocked that they are not there, it is not a case of you doing something wrong. Again, some had them, some didn't, and I don't have the info on why not ( build date or location ).

Just wait until the kit shows up, with the thread above, it should be dirt easy to get them installed ( watch that ground location if you have the old directions ).
Even if you had the connectors in the front of the truck, the yellow wire from the fog lamp switch to the BJB is missing, and that is not an easy one to try to add in ( removal of BJB install of the pins on the back side, remount..etc ), that is why the kit from Ford is stand alone ( relay and fuses ).
At the same time you can also do the fog lamp switch mod, in 2 parts.
1. use power from the parking lamps so you can have them on with the low or high beams ( jumper brown wire to white w/ black stripe wire )
2. ramp job on the switch, so you can pull them out in the parking lamp position ( requires taking apart your new switch ).

If you have not found that mod :
http://www.geocities.com/tedoca/headlight.html

The ramp is an optional part

Old 05-14-2007 | 11:32 AM

...<snip>...I have been and will continue to take fooking pictures of the whole design, build, and installation and once it is complete I will post then all because maybe there are other decent people who might need to know how to do it. And it is easy to see that there is either no one who know hos to do it or else everyone is an jerk like already demonstrated. So keep your "maybe it is your turn to figure out something" line and stick it up somewhere fun. Or you can gladly come down to Atlanta from the Chicago area and tell it to my face and see what happens. I have figured out plenty and will continue to figure out plenty more than you could ever dream of figuring out.

For those waiting for pics I will indeed get them up along with instructions, wiring diagrams, and finished pics.
1. Thank you for reversing your previous post. Other members wanting to to do the same thing will be appreciative of this. Glad to see you figured out the error of your ways when you posted :
..<snip>..I am not sure I will post it all on this place though since no one is willing to even answer this thread
2. It now makes sense why you first posted this. By your claim, you seem to be an adult time line wise, but by your instance of word replaced profanity,unfounded claims of superior intellect and what seems to be an implied hitting me, you are an adolescent emotionally. Clears up quite a bit of things for me.
Additionally, in the spirit of helping you out, by trying to stop you from getting a suspension or banned, please read this thread :
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=221454
Pay particular attention to item #3.

Old 05-14-2007 | 11:43 AM
|
It now makes sense why you first posted this. By your claim, you seem to be an adult time line wise, but by your instance of word replaced profanity,unfounded claims of superior intellect and what seems to be an implied hitting me, you are an adolescent emotionally.
I made no mention or implication of hitting you. I do not claim to have a superior intellect nor do I claim to be mature. Those are things others can support for me and I have no need to talk to someone with a big mouth and bad attitude on a message board about. You are a prime example of everyone else I have met and not gotten along with who are in the Mid West though. You pop off at someone else who has done nothing to you at all. Then after you pop off you get a response and then criticize the response? That obviously makes me the one who is "an adolescent emotionally". If I am indeed an adolescent then how old are you grandpa?

I also used clear English when I said "I am not sure I will post it all on this place" Now perhaps your English is as poor as your attitude but that does not say "I will not post anything helpful here" but instead it says exactly what the letters making words mean "I am not sure I will post it all on this place" (perhaps I will, perhaps I won't). There was no reversal there was simply a decision. I apologize for it being over your maturity and intelligence level.

Have a wonderful day and learn to be more polite to people.

Quick Reply: 2003 Lariat 2wd - no OEM fog lights - Add them?