Butt connectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Butt connectors

Hey all!

I'm installing a reverse camera and I'm going to wire it to my reverse light. My question is what kind of butt connector should I use? I'm not familiar with the ratings of connectors.

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Match the butt connector gauge rating to that of the truck wiring & camera wiring. A tip: solder the connections before you crimp and use a dab of dielectric grease in ALL crimped connections,

Old 05-17-2007, 10:20 AM
In addition, I would use water-proof connectors (or I guess water-resistant would be more accurate). A good crimp doesn't necessarily need solder, if it was an audio system, I would say go for it, but since it's just a 12v, you dont need to solder.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:29 AM
On anything outside I use shrink tube and the bare butt connectors. I crimp it and then heat the butt connector and fill it with solder before putting the shrink tube over it. I've found just crimping will sooner or later result in corrosion in the connection. Moreso in the winter especially if you're in an area that salts the roads. You wouldn't believe the number of corroded crimped (and sealed) connections I fix every winter on tractors and trailers. If you're not going to solder it at least put some dielectric grease on the wire ends before putting them in the butt connector and use one that has shrink tube on it or extra shrink tube.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:53 AM
I was able to install the camera without a problem. Thanks again for the advice.

Quick Reply: Butt connectors