Ignition key wont turn

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition key wont turn

I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on my ignition.
the key absolutely wont turn. The steering wheel seems like it is hard up against a curb but the truck is actually out on the farm.
I thought about lifting the front end and wiggling the wheels to see if it releases the switch but havent done that yet.

Any ideas?

Old 06-25-2007, 07:58 AM
I have been there but not with my truck.

We parked halfway in a side ditch to go to a friend's party. The vehicle's weight kept the steering HARD against the brake lockout. I had to turn the wheel real hard to get the brake lockout to disengage. Try to turn in the direction they are turning to so it will come loose against the brake interlock. I think it usually wants to settle straight.

You may even want to rock the truck and make sure it is in park.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what yearc truck??? we had a 99 e 150 van at work that did that. w tryed everything dam thing would not turn. ignition cylinder just locked up we had to go to the dealer. only had 50k in it. dealer put a whole new assembly in. my boss said it didnt cost anything. could have been a recall type thing.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 06-25-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:12 PM
I work as a tow truck driver for AAA. I learned a trick from an old timer tow truck opperater. So, when this happens to people (it happens often belive it or not), I use a small aluminum flashlight that weighs about 1 lb to strike the key while it is fully inserted into the ignition. I just tap it firmly a couple times and then without pulling the key out, try to turn and "wiggle"it. Tap it, wiggle it, tap it....and so on. Once you get the "sweet spot" the key will turn like magic. This works 99.5% of the time as a temp fix. Very common among the Ford Focus and the Jeep Cherokee for some reason.

Quick Reply: Ignition key wont turn