Power Source tap

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007 | 12:35 PM
|
Power Source tap

Hi all,
Been lurking this site for a long time doing my research.
Finally bought an '07 Screw FX4.

I'm trying to mount 2 sets of PIAA driving & fog lights. PIAA has changed from a toggle switch to a push-button on/off switch with an LED indicator light that requires a separate power source since I last purchased a set from them.

The source just needs to power the swithch/LED. I don't want them to be controlled with my factory headlights/fog lights as I want to control them whenever I want. I thought about tapping into the cigarette lighter, but that has continuous power and not sure if I should be concerned about battery draw when truck is off, though I suspect it would be minimal, it would still draw some power. Thought about just tapping it straight into the fuse box too, but same issue with continuous source. I also don't want to tap into anything connected to the sat radio/nav system.

Any suggestions on a good tap point for just the switch that would only be powered up when running and independent of the headlights?

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2007 | 10:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

You can power the switch & relay from the parking lamps, this is the brown wire on the main headlamp switch.

One option, don't know if you care if the parking lamps had to be on, I only saw the comment about the headlamps.

Old 07-05-2007 | 04:40 PM
|
Thanks.
I'd rather be completely independent, but it's an option.

I think I may have found another option from a thread in the amplifier section, but I'll check it out.

Quick Reply: Power Source tap