Starter or celanoid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter or celanoid?

I have a 97 4.6L... Nice new lift, freshly detailed...but I got stranded today.

I went to start the truck after picking up a swing set at Toys R Us - nothing but a single click when I turn the key. Battery is perfect. Truck wont do anything except click one time as I turn the key even while being jumped.

Does that sound like the solenoid or the starter? I believe its the solenoid but I am leaning towards replacing both to play it safe.

Being a 5 speed, I pop started the truck to get it home. I took a look under the truck and can see that the starter is pretty easy to get at from below- but my concern is the top bolt may be tough to remove as it appears to be somewhere between the starter and block? The truck was to hot to go feeling around for that last elusive bolt.

Has anyone changed their starter that could shed some light on this? Is the that last bolt going to be a bi*tch? I hate to call a shop for something so straight forward- but when I get frustrated, and its 90 degrees, humid, and Im laying on my back on a driveway that feels like its 150 degrees, I seem to break things

Last edited by Les22; 07-05-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:54 PM
I'd check battery connections first, but then look at the SOLENOID

Not sure how you know the battery is perfect, but I'll take your word for it...

Old 07-05-2007, 10:17 PM
I checked the battery connections, they are corrosion free and tight. The battery is about 6 months old, it appears to be holding a full charge according to the meter on the charger. I know this is not a true assessment of the battery's amperage or cranking power, but I think its a safe assumption- if it were the battery- I'd have thought that a few minutes of charging with the jumper cables while trying to jump start it would have produced better results?

I just hear a single click each time I turn the key.

If I am correct the solenoid is right next to the starter? On the outside- its got a fair amount of corrosion on it. I will take your advice and start there

Anyone else have anything to add?

Old 07-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im not even sure you can buy the solenoid seperate. might as well replace the whole thing.i justc replaced mine on my 97 few months back. it was the original. 10 years from o.e.m cant complain.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:34 AM
I dont have any thing to add but to tell you that I am experienceing the same thing but mine will start after many turns of the key and it is totally random sometimes if I turn the key really slow it will start sometime it wont even do it but I do support the starter on its way out, cuz my batt. is on tight also. If you do deside to change the starter or the solenoid please post if it works because I think that the starter is like 150 bucks last time I priced them.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm with keith97xlt, I don't think they come separately. The solenoid and starter come as a bundle. If you are that desperate and short on money you might be able to go to a junkyard and disconnect a solenoid from the starter and try that, otherwise I would just buy the unit. It's only a few wires and 2 bolts.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:43 AM
I bought a new starter and solenoid, cost $172 ($50 core charge).

Went home and starterd to take the old starter and solenoid out. Found that the terminal ring on the largest wire that mounts on the solenoid had broken and was no longer connected. So I didnt need the new parts. I crimped a new terminal ring on the wire and connected it to the solenoid and the truck starts without a problem. 59 cents for the new terminal ring

Firedog- check the connections under the red plastic cap on your solenoid (the cap snaps off easily enough). You may just have to clean your contacts. I would give that a try before buying new parts?

Old 07-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Unhappy 1990 F150 will not turn over.....

I have a 1990 F150 that I am having all sorts of problems with. It will not turn over when I turn the key. I was told to replace the relay device between the battery and the ignition. Did that..nothing. Bought a new battery, checked the cables and everything seems ok. Then I was told to replace the actual ignition and key...did this and nothing. I was told the next thing to try was to replace the ignition moduel and still nothing. I don't have the money to send it to the shop but I need it running. Any suggestions???

Old 07-19-2007, 01:26 AM
thats what happened to me. the terminal rotted of the solenoid connection. the starter itself was fine. seeing as it was original starter and i had extra cash i just went ahead and replaced everything.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:30 AM
thats what happened to me. the terminal rotted of the solenoid connection. the starter itself was fine. seeing as it was a 10 year old starter i was on borrowed time anyway. i just went ahead and replaced everything.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:31 AM
opps double post.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Starter

I would try a couple things first, jump out the solonoid, if it starts the solonoid is bad. Next rap the starter a couple times with a hammer, does not need a hard hit just two or three, then try it (Old Trick). If still nonthing take it to a good electrial shop and have it tested, it is definatley either one. If the battery was low you would get more than one click the first time.

Good luck

Wayne

Quick Reply: Starter or celanoid?