Moonroof failure - headliner removal????

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moonroof failure - headliner removal????

OK - So I just got back from camping a couple of hours ago and did a quick search in the forum. On Friday, my power moonroof decided to stop working and stayed in the open position. I can hear the motor going when I push the switch back to the open position, but when I try to close it I get nothing.

I found a couple of threads with the same thing and there wasn't much help, except one thread said that the motor would have to be replaced (but I can hear it working in the "open" position).

My questions are:

1. Anyone have this problem?
2. How much is a new motor?
3. How diffiult is it to remove the headliner to get to the source of the problem?
4. Could it be a faulty switch?

Thanks

Old 07-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Alright, still looking for some help but here's where I'm at...

I removed the headliner yesterday and there is a manual crank that allowed me to close the moonroof manually. So, at least my interior won't get soaked...

I am really looking for someone who had a similar problem. I'm thinking it's the motor but I can hear it working and the roof does automatically retract to open, just won't automatically close. A new motor is $414 and it isn't returnable if it's not the motor

So, is there anyway to test the current switch, motor, etc... Any suggestions? The moonroof itself is not off of the track or anything, I just don't want to buy a new motor and find out that it was just a bad switch.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Have you done the easy stuff yet like check the fuses and relays?

Old 07-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Copperhead64
Have you done the easy stuff yet like check the fuses and relays?
Yes. The same fuse operates the pwoer windows also. All the power windows still work and the sunroof motor does work and allows me to open it, but does nothing when I try to close it.

Quick Reply: Moonroof failure - headliner removal????