Adding a power switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding a power switch

Ok i hardwired my radar into my truck and now i want to add a power on off switch in the line between where i tapped in and the radar. How would i go about doing this and is it possible.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Find the Style SPST ( Single Pole single Throw ) switch that you like ( toggle / rocket / push button ).

There are only 2 contacts on it ( as long as it is not an illuminated switch ).

The pos lead that you are using to power the radar detector, cut and install the switch.

The terminals on the switch might be set screw or male spade. Either way, you should use a terminal end on the power wire. Fork type on the set screw ( or tint the wire with solder to stop fraying ) or the female spade terminals on the other type.

Real easy.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Thankyou for the information. Does anyone else have any more info that i can use it will be greatly appreciated

Old 08-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Unhook the power wire from it's source before you splice the switch in. If you don't already have it fused, now is a good time to add an inline fuse which would go between where you hook to the power source and the switch.
If you get an illuminated switch the third terminal should be wired to ground to make the light work when turned on. Most of those type of switches should have a sticker next to the terminals that tell you what hooks to where.

Quick Reply: Adding a power switch