Alternator problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Alternator problems?

I've got a 1998 F-150 with the 4.2L, and its about to pass the 160K mile mark, but the engine is only at 19K (had to replace a year ago ) But just recently, on a trip to Wal-Mart, I noticed that my #5 fuse blew, rendering my A/C useless. So, I tried replacing it, only to have it blow 5 minutes later. (It also knocked out my reverse lights, and I back-up A LOT) Also just a few days ago, I have an aftermarket Sony CD player with a motorized fold-down feature, and for some reason, all my buttons (volume, switch track, on/off, etc) dont work and I have to use my remote. Also, when it folded down (acces to buttons and eject disc) all the lights are off. But when it flips up to its large faceplate screen, the lights are working on that side, but are like flickering between dim and bright. On a third note, last night coming home from a friends house, with my lights on, I noticed that my speedo needle was normally bright, but my oil pressure and batt gauge are unusually dimmed and my fuel meter was even dimmer while my temp gauge was just a tad dimmer than the speedo, which was working fine. (BTW, I made sure my gauge brigtness display was on full) I seriosuly doubt that the bulbs all have to be replaced at the same time.

I told my dad and he said it might be an alternator prob (at 160K miles, it also needs the brakes checked, I can feel them slipping when slowing through 35, and rotation and balancing of the tires.) and he said a way to check without paying the Ford dealership $50 is to disconnect one of the terminals of the batt and something would happen (I wasn't really listening that much, lol) But does this sound familiar to any of you? Cause I really need my A/C and reverse lights, its supposed to be 99 degrees today in Florida! Thx in advance!

-Alex

BTW, volt meter is reading normally between 8 and 18.

Last edited by Raptor05121; 08-12-2007 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Alternator problems?