2001 F150 Clockspring Installation for Airbag Code 32 3-2

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007 | 09:00 AM
|
2001 F150 Clockspring Installation for Airbag Code 32 3-2

Hey all,

First off, thanks to many of you who have found out that the clockspring was the problem to this code, 3-2. Thats how I found out it was the problem for my 01 S/C. Anyways, I've decided to make a step by step detailed instruction on how to remove and install the clockspring for those who are attempting this, as I just replace mine yesterday, so its fresh in my mind.

Clockspring: Taken from Wikipedia.com
The clockspring is very simply an extension cord for the driver's airbag. There is only one clockspring in the airbag system and it is always in the steering column. It is designed to provide a constant electrical connection to the airbag allowing the steering wheel to turn multiple rotations in each direction without breaking contact with the airbag. It typically consists of a flat ribbon wire encased in plastic with specific connectors and/or wires at each end. It is mounted directly below the steering wheel.

Symptoms:
Airbag light indicator flashes three times pause then twice, for a series of times then stays on, sometimeshorn stops working, somtimescruise control stops working.

Diagnose:
32 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open

For Reference:
--thanks to adrianspeeder--
— No Air Bag Indicator — Inoperative Indicator Circuit or No Battery Positive Voltage to Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor
— Continuous Air Bag Indicator — Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Disconnected or Inoperative
12 Low Battery Voltage
13 Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground
14 Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuit Shorted to Ground
21 Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
22 Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Output Circuit Shorted to Battery Voltage
23 Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuit Input Feed/Return Circuit Open
24 Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Output Feed/Return Circuit Open
32 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open
34 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted
41 RH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Feed/Return Circuit Open
42 LH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Feed/Return Circuit Open
44 RH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
45 LH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
51 Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse — Fuse Blown Due to Intermittent Short to Ground
52 Backup Power Supply — Voltage Boost Fault
53 Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuits Resistance to Ground or Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Fault
— Rapid Continuous Flashing of Air Bag Indicator (No Fault Code) All Primary Air Bag Sensors Disconnected

Disclaimer: What you do to your truck is up to you. I take no responsiblity for anything happening to you or your truck. Do this at your own risk.

Last edited by Bunthy; 08-14-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-14-2007 | 09:01 AM
|
Store:
http://www.ebay.com
or
http://www2.partstrain.com/products/...W_SCW-002.html

Tools needed:
- + and - Screwdriver
- Torqux Screws
- Basic Socket set

Special Tools:
- I don't know the name, it has 3 small prongs in the socket to unscrew a bolts with 3 little slits.
- Steering Wheel Puller

Time:
45mins - 1+ hours

How to remove old clockspring:
1.Disconnect Negative [ - ] battery terminal for at least 10mins to drain the back-up power for the airbag!!

2.Remove the [2] screw cover from behind the sterring wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock position, [1] at each side respectively.

3.Remove the [2] screws. For my application I needed a torqx screw, the star shaped screw, for one of the side. On the other I need a a Special tool, it has 3 little prongs that insert into 3 slits on the screw.

4.Disconnect the [2] plugs from the airbag connecting to the sterring wheel.

5.Disconnect the [1] plug on the steering wheel connecting to the clockspring.

6.Straigten the wheel and mark it if you need to, by turn the key to the start postion, the one before you actually crank the engine, so the wheel and sterring wheel doesn't misalign then unscrew the BIG bolt that holds the steering wheel in place, again another torqx screw is needed.

7.Use the steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel.

8.Remove the tilt handle with a small wrench/plier.

9.Remove [3] screws from underneath the steering column that holds the top and bottom sterring cover together.

10.Remove the dash panel that surrounds the steering column, its the long upside down U-shaped piece.

11.Remove the steering wheel cover, both top and bottom.

12.Remove the igition switch. Look under the ignition, you should see a little hole with a silver buttom/tab, press that in and move the ignition to the start position, the one before you actually crank the engine. Jiggle it around and pull it out. It may take some time but it will come out.

13.Remove [2] bolts on the top right and bottom right, that holds the bottom portion of the dash.

14.Remove the [2] botls that hold the same dash panel on the bottom left corner, locate above the brake pedal, its [2] bolts screwed to the metal part of the dash.

15.Remove the [2] torqux screw that hold the turn/wiper arm.

16.Remove the clockspring but no completely, there are more plugs to it. There are [3] little clips, very tight clips, that holds it in place, on the top, right side and bottom. Theres a plug on the clockspring thats suppose to be there, it doesn't come off.

---for next few plugs follow the cable from the clockspring to find its source---

17.Remove the clip/plug that is connected to the ignition ring.

18.Acess the other [2] plugs by inserting your hand from the bottom dash panel and unpluggin it. Its one SMALL BLACK plug and one BIG BROWN. Thers another WHITE plug with 4-5wires to it, that stay theres.

19.Unclip the ignition cable thats hooked on the anchor shaped plastic holder.

20.Remove the clockspring and its plugs.

21.Install the new clockpring, however do not remove the YELLOW pull tab on the clockspring until your finished plugging in and putting all the bolts back.

22.Reverse the order of the removal procedure to finish.

23.Don't forget to connect the battery.

Good luck and take your time.
Bunthy

P.S. When you start your car, start it from the passenger seat, just in case and try out the horn too, lol.

Last edited by Bunthy; 08-14-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-01-2010 | 06:53 PM
Thumbs up Thanks for the step by step instructions

My 1997 Expedition was generating the same 32 error. The cruise control and horn definitely did not work so the only option was to replace the clockspring. I ordered a replacement clockspring from www.partsguyed.com, which I found to be the cheapest. I received a couple of e-mails to confirm that the part I was ordering was correct.

I followed the instructions from above, which matched the same process for a 1997 Expedition. The only notes that I would add correspond to the instruction number:

6) Prior to removing the torx screw, you can turn the steering wheel back and forth with the key out to lock the steering wheel. This helps when removing the torx screw. The torx screw on a 97 Expedition steering wheel is a T50 for those who have to go buy one.

7) Instead of a steering wheel puller, the Expedition requires a 2 jaw puller. Autozone did not have a 2 jaw puller for purchase, but they had one for "rent". Cost me money upfront to rent, but I received it back when I returned the tool.

8) For tilt handles that are difficult to turn, use a small crescent wrench instead of pliers to prevent damage to the paint. The handle actually has a portion of the stem flattened for using crescent wrenches.

17) To remove the clip/plug connected to the ignition ring, slide the outside of the plastic portion of the ignition ring slightly off to create space for removal (You will need this space to install the new one.)

From start to finish, I estimated that it took me about 1.5 hrs since I was also deep cleaning as I went along. The tools that I needed overall were:
7mm, 8mm, and 9mm socket with 3/8 ratchethead
Phillips head screwdriver - thin head to remove the bottom of the steering wheel cover
T50 torx screw head for the steering wheel and smaller torx screw heads for all the other ones
2 jaw puller

As soon as I started the engine (from the passenger seat), the error cleared. I'm not an experienced mechanic, but, if you follow the instructions above, it should be easy to follow.

Pele

Quick Reply: 2001 F150 Clockspring Installation for Airbag Code 32 3-2