Keyless entry....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008 | 06:43 PM
|
Keyless entry....

I know a lot of things are wired from the factory weather or not you have them. Things like locks and power windows. I have done a ton of conversions and all i had to do what put the motors in and plug them into the harness that was already there.

Is this the case with keyless entry. If i could find a ford system would it plug right in somewhere on my truck and let me program remotes to it?

98 spr cab 4.6 4X4

Old 01-05-2008 | 11:30 PM
I'm not sure how it would hook up, but most likely that would be a costly project. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2008 | 11:55 AM
you can find keyless entry systems pretty cheap. bb sells them with install for $132 and they are pretty easy to hook up. If your handy with a multimeter you should be able to install it on your own pretty easily. im sure you could find one online for under $50

Old 01-06-2008 | 02:33 PM
Remote keyless entry.

Your truck may have come with remote keyless entry. I have it, but i have no key fobs. There is a way to check. it involves cycling the ignition on and off several times. and after the cycle the doors will lock and unlock .
Here's a breif how to check.
put key in ignition. switch to on. do not start engine. cycle to off/on eight times in rapid succession, and ending up with the switch on in the eighth turn.
The doors will lock/ unlock to confirm programming mode for the fobs.

Old 01-06-2008 | 03:45 PM
|
Originally Posted by 2002 wonderboy
Your truck may have come with remote keyless entry. I have it, but i have no key fobs. There is a way to check. it involves cycling the ignition on and off several times. and after the cycle the doors will lock and unlock .
Here's a breif how to check.
put key in ignition. switch to on. do not start engine. cycle to off/on eight times in rapid succession, and ending up with the switch on in the eighth turn.
The doors will lock/ unlock to confirm programming mode for the fobs.
I will try this when i leave tonight.... THat would be awsome!!!

Old 01-06-2008 | 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by warbat66
you can find keyless entry systems pretty cheap. bb sells them with install for $132 and they are pretty easy to hook up. If your handy with a multimeter you should be able to install it on your own pretty easily. im sure you could find one online for under $50
That's not too bad at all. Last time I looked at them they weren't that cheap.

Old 01-10-2008 | 01:23 AM
Ford Keyless Entry

My 99 did not originally have keyless entry. I made the dealer install a Ford system when I bought it new. They only had the truck for 4 hours total. I have to assume the truck was wired for it originally and that they just mounted the box and connected the wiring to an existing harness point.

As for the test listed above, I believe (but can NOT prove) that would work for all trucks with electric door locks, as the keyless is an option that uses the actuators and existing harness.

Back to what I was looking for, I have to start a new thread now, because both locking actuators just stopped working.

Take Care

Quick Reply: Keyless entry....