Intermittent AM Radio...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008 | 10:37 PM
|
Intermittent AM Radio...

Since the time I got my truck, AM radio has come in periods. It doesn't seem to work, unless the truck has been running for a long period of time. It seems like it doesn't come on unless I have been on a long distance ride or anything over an hour of driving. I don't even know where to begin. Anyone heard of anything similar?

Thanks for any and all help.

Old 04-17-2008 | 07:43 PM
we need to know what kind of truck, and what type of in dash deck. the old body style with cassette? or the new body style with a 6 disk in dash?

personally i would start with checking the radio. find someone in the classifieds selling there and spend the 50$. the decks in these truck are really easy to move, the new body style even easier then the old. it would only take you 5 mins to swap out the old and put in the new. then you can go from there, though youll prob fix the problem by doing it.

or

if you want to put in a custom deck, you can go that way. either way, get that deck out and try another one!

Old 04-17-2008 | 08:59 PM
|
Hey,

Sorry I forgot to mention, it is a 2000 F150 XLT. It has a casette deck. In the center console there is a 6 cd changer. FM works fine, AM is just nothing. I would probably spend the money and get a new one, but I don't listen to AM enough to warrant spending money on it. I was hoping there would be some sort of a fix I could do by just spending some of my time, not money. But either way I'll probably take a look int he want ad and see whats there.

Thanks.

Old 04-17-2008 | 11:03 PM
a few things to check.............

you said you had a changer in the center console. What kind of changer is it? If its NOT a factory changer make sure to shut off the FM modulator or you won't get an AM signal.

OR

If it is a factory changer you need to check the antenna base and the cable running from it.
Am radio is COMPLETELY dependent on a properly working and connected antenna.

FM radio will work with just about anything stuck in the antenna hole

Edward

Quick Reply: Intermittent AM Radio...