GEM Module Testing/Programming

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008 | 09:53 PM
|
GEM Module Testing/Programming

Does anyone know if a dealership can test a GEM Module with it being removed from the vehicle?

I removed mine today to see if there was any visible damage from the leaky windshield. There was visible moisture in the large fuse panel bulkhead connector (trace...nothing major)....some minor corrosion (green tips) on the blade connectors.....but nothing smoked that I could tell. And no, I'm not an auto mechanic...but I am an electronics engineer with a quality assurance background.

I just wish I had a scanner!

Old 07-15-2008 | 09:30 AM
|
Well good news...after some long tried and true electrical skills..I figured out it's not the GEM. Turns out...the GEM pulls completes the coil circuit on the Battery Saver Relay...and pulls the associated switch closed....I can verify that switch is closed as that switch in turn provides power to the Interior Lamp Relay coil...and that relay is verified as my Dome lamp does work. So by that logic..the GEM is providing the "ground" signal to the "ground" side of the Battery Saver Relay (pulling it low....speaking logically).

So now I've verified the map lights, glove box light, and underhood/Engine compartment lights are all good (didn't think they all would have blown anyway..but checked nonetheless). So the next "common" point is splice #240 which is located by the ashtray illumination T/O (or take out...where the wiring leaves the harness). Problem is...I can't seem to find that T/O in the harness.

Does anyone know where that T/O is? Is it closer to behind the radio? I've read some "horror" stories about ashtray removal...so I'm leary about removing the ashtray....

The next data point would be continuity check from the map lights to the other spliced items (including the feed line) to see if continuity exists. Otherwise the only other component it could be would be the main fuse panel bulkhead connector....which...by the way...are not too, too hard to remove...but can be a bear unless you know what you are doing. (I didn't know there was a bolt going thru the middle to begin with....Ford's documentation doesn't show that bolt until the re-assembly).

Quick Reply: GEM Module Testing/Programming