electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008 | 10:42 PM
|
electrical problems

i am thinking about buying a used 00 f-150 but there are some electrical problems with the truck. the power windows won't roll down, the radio/cd player doesn't get any power, the cruise control doesn't work and the air conditioning onlyblows hot air. i know thats alot of problems but i'm getting the truck really cheap. does this sound like a blown fuse or a shorted out wire/wiring harness? or just 4 seperate problems?

Old 08-14-2008 | 07:46 AM
Probably, 4 different problems.

Get it cheaper. If the previous owner let that much slide, he/she probably also let other stuff (important stuff, like fluid maintenance, for example) slide also.

Steve

Old 08-15-2008 | 05:12 PM
Hmmm....the radio not receiving power and the windows not rolling down could be indicative of one issue: leaking windshield into the fuse box area. Those are symptoms my 00 F150 had when it had the gremlins of the leaking windshield (I've since fixed it). The AC could be due to a freon/R134A leak.

Check the area around the door carpet on driver seat and see if it's wet (after a rain if you get a chance). Or even better look up under the fuse box and see if there's a lot of rust on the metal plate there.....if there is..this vehicle MAY have the leaking windshield issue that plagued the 2000 F150s.

Just a couple of ideas...and btw....easy to fix...just change the windshield and the leaks are stopped....but you'll still have to troubleshoot the electrical problems.

Old 08-19-2008 | 02:40 AM
|
thanks for the responses. i have fixed all the problems but two. one the doors won't lock or unlock, but when i press the buttons they seem to budge but not go all the way up or down. ontop of that the dash makes a clicking sound so i think it maybe the lock motors or something, not the electrical system.
also when i shift into 4x4 it stays in 2 wheel drive. no lights, no tansmission shift, nothing. i have the flip switch, not manual

Old 09-10-2008 | 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by swagner29
thanks for the responses. i have fixed all the problems but two. one the doors won't lock or unlock, but when i press the buttons they seem to budge but not go all the way up or down. ontop of that the dash makes a clicking sound so i think it maybe the lock motors or something, not the electrical system.
also when i shift into 4x4 it stays in 2 wheel drive. no lights, no tansmission shift, nothing. i have the flip switch, not manual
What was the problem?

My stereo quit this afternoon and this evening the power windows stopped working as well. It is noteworthy to mention that I can insert a cd and eject it just fine, but there is no audio from the CD or radio and the display remains dark.

I have check the applicable fuses, but not the relays yet.

Old 09-17-2008 | 04:56 PM
|
i have fixed all my problems but the 4 wheel drive and the power locks.

Quick Reply: electrical problems