Over running.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
stole it for my autometer gauges and also chose that particular circuit for my electric pump for my intercooler system. so theres that pump, the oil pressure, fuel pressure and wideband running off that tap.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:12 AM
hrm.. not finding any clues yet, i might have to change my key on power from somewhere else next... the truck will not do this when its cold, and its about 3/4 the time its warm and will do this. i cant decide if its the ignition because its intermittent and well, i honestly dont understand how the ignition would do it?

Old 05-31-2009, 10:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm at a loss, if there is nothing wrong with the items that you took the power for, then it should be fine.

If you could switch those to a relay that is powered from a circuit that is hot in the run position to drive the coil on the relay, and have them draw power from the battery instead, that might help the testing.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:29 PM
hmm you mean make an appropriate circuit... sounds like a novel idea LOL.

well you make me feel better, cause im at a loss as well.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:53 AM
ok i went back through my chiltons manual, there is a circuit i think i picked that was key on power, but if its the same one i actually did pick over a year ago now, it went to the coils and theres capcitors in that circuit. i think that maaaay be the problem. lol

so, where can i pull trigger power for my new relay idea that i want to start thanks to you
my only nitpick is i dont want to try for the power for the radio first, that radio barely fit in there to begin with. i had to really push it in.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't have to pull the radio to use that circuit, just pull the fuse, and get an ATM add-a-fuse, and put it in the radio slot.

I get mine on Amazon, but members have said walmart has them. The Napas by me stopped carrying this type, and went to the clip on the fuse male spade connector ( they type that stretches the fuse slot open ).

Hook the wire up to the relay coil, put in a 1 A fuse, and then wire the remainder the relay as normal to the battery.

There is still 2 of these in my '95 that my friend bought from me back when I got my '01, my '01 has 1 in the radio slot, and my '06 has one in the radio slot.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:29 PM
ok i think this may've been the problem, i found the wire i tapped into was also a PCM power. then i think the fan motor and pump may be back feeding power while they run down to a stop perhaps? at any rate the truck shuts off now when the key is off, my aux gauges ran for a second longer than the truck did.

Quick Reply: Over running.