1988 F150 ignition Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008 | 10:26 PM
|
1988 F150 ignition Problems

I just bought a f150 to use as a work pickup Theres a Issue with the Ignition you have to turn it to just the right spot for it to turn on the ignition and power up the truck the start still works when you turn it all the way but when you come back it will shut off real quick. If not in the sweet spot on the key it turns off, and you have to jimmy it back and forth to get the Acc. to come on were is the switch in these trucks ??>

Old 11-30-2008 | 09:38 PM
The switch is a few inches forward from the key, the key tumbler and the switch are connected by what is called an actuator rod. You need to remove the plastic cowling from around the steering column, there are two screws, I believe, holding the two halves of the cowling together, accessible from the bottom side. It sounds like your switch may be sliding back and forth, it has slots to adjust it so it works correctly. I can't say say for sure you have a sliding switch, but removing that cowling from around the steering column should allow you to figure out the exact problem.

Old 12-01-2008 | 01:04 PM
|
Thanks, Yeah it turned out only thing holding the switch togeather was the pressure of the wireing Harness, It blew apart in my hand, Canadian tire got me one and it cost 14.00 cdn changed it once and Every thing worked. thanks!

Quick Reply: 1988 F150 ignition Problems