2004 F150 Lariat with a few electrical gremlins!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009 | 08:39 AM
|
2004 F150 Lariat with a few electrical gremlins!

Hi guys...newbie here! I bought a 2004 F150 Lariat a couple months ago and have been happy with it. But there have been a few electrical issues that I can't seem to figure out. For starters, we had a rain/ice storm a little while ago. When I went outside, I noticed the interior lights of the truck were on, as if the door was open. As I approached the truck, they faded out like they do after you shut the door...but they almost immediately came back on. I stood outside the truck and watched this cycle a few times. I checked all four of the doors (it is extended cab, not a full crew cab) and they were all closed tightly. There was no water inside the truck either. It hasn't happened since then.

The other thing, is the dashboard thermometer that shows you the outside temperature is way off. It worked properly when I first got the truck...but now it reads much warmer than it actually is. It is about 20-30 degrees high all the time.

Any tips you guys can give me would be great! This is my first F150 and my first pickup in general!!

Ben

Old 02-08-2009 | 02:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Try WD-40 on the door switch, it could be causing the grief, as far as the interior lamps staying on.

The problem with the wiring under the door sill plate, is if the lights don't go on ( opposite problem of yours ).

This seems common to some over all MY trucks.

Don't think the rear doors have switches on the SCab, so hit both the front door latches with WD-40, and see what happens. If this does not solve it, the door switches are cheap enough to repalce.

Just a thought, unless someone comes along with a better idea.

Old 02-08-2009 | 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Praetorian27
...<snip>....
The other thing, is the dashboard thermometer that shows you the outside temperature is way off. It worked properly when I first got the truck...but now it reads much warmer than it actually is. It is about 20-30 degrees high all the time.
...<snip>....
Sorry forgot this one, some threads on the topic have the temp probe being replaced as the cure.
I recall a thread where someone said a PCM update fixed it, but this could be specific to a build date, and with yours working prior I would say new temp probe time.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-location.html

Old 02-08-2009 | 07:26 PM

Found the other thread on the similar problem to yours.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...4-f-150-a.html

After spraying the door latch, if this does not do it, it could also be a broken wire, vs a bad switch.

Sorry, knew I saw it some where, thought I was making it up.

Old 02-16-2009 | 07:25 AM
|
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Found the other thread on the similar problem to yours.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...4-f-150-a.html

After spraying the door latch, if this does not do it, it could also be a broken wire, vs a bad switch.

Sorry, knew I saw it some where, thought I was making it up.
Thanks for the info SSCULLY! The wierd thing is...it only did it that one time during the ice/rain storm. It never happened before or since. I had checked the doors and they were shut solidly. I wonder if some water had gotten in between the door and when it froze it pushed open the door a little bit? I don't even know if this is possible...

Old 02-16-2009 | 07:46 AM

Worth taking a look under the door sill plate, just to see.

One of the threads, someone had the same issue when it was cold out, and found ice under his door sill plates.

They pope right up, just need to pay attention to the metal friction clips when you put it back down.

Plastic trim tool, or putty knife wrapped in a rag should do the trick to get you started removing it, to get your hand under it.

Quick Reply: 2004 F150 Lariat with a few electrical gremlins!