Wiper Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiper Issues

Hello, I have a 2000 expedition (4.6) I'm currently having issues with the wipers not wanting to turn off or work in intermenant. I have replaced the MF switch and today i replaced the wiper motor itself and still having the same problem. They'll work on high and nothing else. I have also checked my grounds and swapped relays around. If anyone has experienced this same problem and has a solution I'd be glad to hear from you.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If your central junction box ( CJB / cab fuse panel ) is in the same place as the F150 ( by the driver's left knee ), you might want to check if there is signs of water up behind the dash.

Some F150s have an issue with the GEM ( Generic Electronic Module ) getting wet, and starting to act strange, due to corrosion / wet contacts between it and the CJB.

The signs of water would be wet carpet and rust on the firewall.

Just had one the other day, he drove his truck long enough with the HVAC blowing hot air, that it dried out the GEM to CJB, and things started to work correctly. Might want to try drying it out up there, and see if it gets better.

If you search here for GEM, you will see some threads on the topic ( not all are water related ).

The GEM controls the wiper motor speed, the MFS only returns a voltage value to the GEM, depending on the setting ( resistance changes ), and with you replacing the MFS and the wiper motor, the GEM is the only thing the same, in the wiper motor control, that is the same.

Just a thought, which may not be applicable to the Expedition

Old 02-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
If your central junction box ( CJB / cab fuse panel ) is in the same place as the F150 ( by the driver's left knee ), you might want to check if there is signs of water up behind the dash.

Some F150s have an issue with the GEM ( Generic Electronic Module ) getting wet, and starting to act strange, due to corrosion / wet contacts between it and the CJB.

The signs of water would be wet carpet and rust on the firewall.

Just had one the other day, he drove his truck long enough with the HVAC blowing hot air, that it dried out the GEM to CJB, and things started to work correctly. Might want to try drying it out up there, and see if it gets better.

If you search here for GEM, you will see some threads on the topic ( not all are water related ).

The GEM controls the wiper motor speed, the MFS only returns a voltage value to the GEM, depending on the setting ( resistance changes ), and with you replacing the MFS and the wiper motor, the GEM is the only thing the same, in the wiper motor control, that is the same.

Just a thought, which may not be applicable to the Expedition

Thank you for the advice I do see signs of moisture being surface rust. Is the GEM located behind the fuse panel?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:22 PM
There are two places the water comes in and is an identified issue. Top of the windsheild and under the cowling trim. $10.00 worth of windsheild urethane on the drivers side seam of the cowling and re sealing tha windsheildwill likely solve the issue. On my 01 F150, it turned on the heater and run the battery dead and does whenever snow melts or it rains. On others I have heard the windsheild wipers run. Unfortunatley the fuse box sits so the relays fill up with water, upside down. then cause all kinds of greif.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by eddieg123
Thank you for the advice I do see signs of moisture being surface rust. Is the GEM located behind the fuse panel?
The F150 it is bolted to the back of the cab fuse panel.

Quick Reply: Wiper Issues