A/C Clutch not clicking on...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009 | 02:09 PM
|
A/C Clutch not clicking on...HELP!!!

Last summer everything was fine until my a/c starting blowing hot but it just needed to be charged... no big deal so i did and everything was fine until now. even last month i had it on and it worked fine. but the other night i went to turn it on and it just blew hot so i figured it needed to be charged and i prolly had a leak... i was wrong. i went to charge it myself and the clutch never clicked on so i was unable to charge it. I think it will blow cold but the clutch wont kick on. i tested the clutch off-cycle switches with a paper clip but connecting both points of them and it still did not click on. i even thought it may have been a lil circuit breaker so i replaced that too and all the fuses appear to be fine so i have no clue where to start and i need help. also: not sure if this is even relevant but my passenger side heated seats come on everytime i start my truck now.... never done that before until now also. any ides????

Old 04-28-2009 | 07:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Not real sure what you got going on here, shorting things is not a good way to go with testing electrical circuits.

You did not list the fuses that you checked, but did you check for power on both sides of F14 ? This is controlled by the AC high pressure switch and the AC cycling pressure switch, which are monitored by the PCM. ( PCM turns the AC clutch relay on and off ).

The AC clutch relay is another item that you might want to bench test, and this is powered by F32.

Not sure what would happen if you had a problem with the AC diode, did you test that ?

The add on of the passenger side climate controlled seat being on when the truck turns on, leads me to believe that the EATC module might be on its way out, but that is a SWAG without the other information.

You could also have the system overcharged, which would shut off the system as well.

Old 04-28-2009 | 08:33 PM
|
i havent checked for power on the f14 and really any of the fuses yet i just checked to see if any of them were blown which they are not. but how exactly do i test the A/C clutch relay, just test out the f32 with a multimeter? and lets say they all are getting power and everything seems ok but still nothing.... what do you think i should do next? i dont want to start throwing parts into just yet but at the same time i dont want to hand it over to a mechanic.

Old 04-28-2009 | 10:07 PM
Did you put your paperclip jumper in the SWITCH, or the harness connector? The clutch shouldn't have come on until there's more than ~25psi in the system. Did you add ANY refrigerant? Have you ever spilled anything near the seat heater switches?

Old 04-28-2009 | 10:19 PM
|
i put the paper clip into the harness; i understand that if there is less than 25 psi and more than like 400 it will not turn on but what do i do to add refrigerant if the clutch doesnt kickk on?? and how can i tell if i have to much or too less? and i prolly have spilled somethin on the switch before but im not positive. ive had the truck for a while. dont know if this helps as well but one night my illumination lights behind my heated seat switch and my climate controls were flickering on and off constantly one night and the next morning they wernt....??? never happen before and hasnt happen since.

Quick Reply: A/C Clutch not clicking on...HELP!!!