Power Windows not Ford Tough

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009 | 10:16 PM
MDK
|
Power Windows not Ford Tough

So the wife and I just got back from our deployments and today I was dropping off the 08 at the audio guys to get my stuff installed (next week is the SC install!). We were driving back home in my 05 with less than 34K miles on her and my wife was on the phone and I heard the window start going down while on the freeway I look over and it appears faster than normal, the wife tells me to roll up the window but I thought she had rolled it down! Turns out the right windows gear and actuator both gave out! Took it to Ford and it took them 2 1/2 hrs to get the door off when nobody was even there waiting which I could have done in 15min. I keep hounding them telling them it was unacceptable but either way it was $85 just for the diagnostic, like $85 for the gear and about $180 for the actuator, factor in labor etc...it came too $390! For a truck with less than 34K miles this is about the dumbest **** I've ever dealt with. I pamper this truck and just put new 18" rim/tires on it and will be selling it next week after we take the 08 to get the SC at Troyer. Maybe this is it's way of giving me the finger cause it knows whats up well screw you too cause your *** is getting sold for cheap! LAME!

Old 05-12-2009 | 11:55 PM
Global Moderator &
Wow! So, for no reason at all, the whole mess just disconnected and the window "fell" down? That IS pretty bad!

I think I might complain to an Area Representative. The fact that you are a returning serviceman might not hurt either, if you could think of a way to casually slip that fact into the complaint.

- Jack

Old 05-13-2009 | 08:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Never off topic in my mind

THANK YOU to you and your wife

Old 05-13-2009 | 08:44 AM
MDK
|
to be honest I'm not really sure who I would voice my opinion with. It was pretty dangerous though. My wife is in the passenger seat and we're doing 70mph on the freeway and my window literally falls down at a higher rate of speed than normal. If anybody has some idea of who I would email let me know cause that was just uncalled for.

Old 05-13-2009 | 10:19 AM
Two of my window regulators have gone out in my '04. Known issue with our trucks.

mikebaby

Old 05-13-2009 | 10:22 AM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by MDK
to be honest I'm not really sure who I would voice my opinion with. It was pretty dangerous though. My wife is in the passenger seat and we're doing 70mph on the freeway and my window literally falls down at a higher rate of speed than normal. If anybody has some idea of who I would email let me know cause that was just uncalled for.
Try a carefully worded, non-emotional, non-confrontational letter (not an email) to "Customer Relations" at Ford Motor Company. It's possible you could find a better addressee if you looked for it, but that should work.

Start out by referring to the fact that you and your Wife recently returned from a deployment to ??? and were driving in your 2005 truck with only 34,000 miles on it. (In other words, make sure they know that even though this is a fairly old model year vehicle, it is still "new").

Describe what happened and then explain the cause, which you feel is a manufacturing defect. Ask if there is anything Ford could do that would help you with the strain this has put on your resources. Make sure they know you are a "loyal Ford customer", love the product, blah, blah, ....

As I said, take your time with this letter. DO NOT let your emotions take over! For instance, your original post was too emotional and confrontational. Avoid words like "dumbest" and phrases that say the dealership is incompetent.

This is what I'd try. It may or may not work, but it only costs you a little time and a postage stamp.

- Jack

Old 05-20-2009 | 05:41 PM
Not certain if you can see my pictures, but I have some pictures of me modifying the window regulators on my unit. I had been having continuing problems with my regulators particularly on my driver's side window. Thin metal stock, and lack of lubrication are what cause most of the problems.
Driving here in the North East you are continually opening the window to throw money out for tolls, fines, e.t.c, and that wears down that window fast.
Rather than replace the window regulator I overhauled the mechanism adding steel angle brackets, Bolts & Nuts, and lubrication to essential mechanisms.
The original mechanism is pretty weak, and should have never been installed in trucks of this nature. I think that Volvo, and BMW have regulators significantly stronger on their vehicles; particularly the driver's regulator. It seems that if you don't overhaul the mechanism you will be stuck replacing the window every year or two.

Quick Reply: Power Windows not Ford Tough