Efan question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010 | 07:14 AM
'Brew;

Nice find.

They are not too small. Folks need to stop equating size with performance

Check these 12"-er's out - look familiar? note the CFM: http://www.spalusa.com/pdf/30103202_SPEC.PDF#view=FitH

What these fans will be is LOUD at full song.

For control - you will need to get a little creative since these are dual-winding fans. Good thing you have plenty of spare relays. Note the 40A supply fuse being used in that schematic. I would not allow both fans to come on high-speed initially - they need to be staged to reduce irush, or use a variable-speed controller with soft-start ( DCControls, etc). I suspect the PCM is doing this.

Here is another way you could hook these up:

Tumba - you need remedial schematic-readin' buddy

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 07-13-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: fixed linky
Old 07-12-2010 | 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
'Brew;

Nice find.

They are not too small. Folks need to stop equating size with performance

Check these 12"-er's out - look familiar? note the CFM: http://www.spalusa.com/pdf/30103202_SPEC.PDF#view=FitH

What these fans will be is LOUD at full song.

For control - you will need to get a little creative since these are dual-winding fans. Good thing you have plenty of spare relays. Note the 40A supply fuse being used in that schematic. I would not allow both fans to come on high-speed initially - they need to be staged to reduce irush, or use a variable-speed controller with soft-start ( DCControls, etc). I suspect the PCM is doing this.

Here is another way you could hook these up:

Tumba - you need remedial schematic-readin' buddy

MGD
I'm always learning and asking questions.

Nope no professional training, at reading Schematics. "But if you never ask you never know."

But that's OK, I'll survive.
Present company excluded, most people that flame me, don't know the answer to the questions themselves. But they love to flame away

Old 07-12-2010 | 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Tumba
I'm always learning and asking questions.

Nope no professional training, at reading Schematics. "But if you never ask you never know."

But that's OK, I'll survive.
Present company excluded, most people that flame me, don't know the answer to the questions themselves. But they love to flame away
Sorry - no slight was intended ( that's what the " " was for ).

Apologies, sir.

MGD

EDIT: 'Brew - how much ya want fer that oil cap that does NOT say '5w-20' on it? I wanna send it to 'Paralyzer' as a gift (inside joke).

Last edited by MGDfan; 07-12-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-12-2010 | 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Sorry - no slight was intended ( that's what the " " was for ).

Apologies, sir.

MGD

EDIT: 'Brew - how much ya want fer that oil cap that does NOT say '5w-20' on it? I wanna send it to 'Paralyzer' as a gift (inside joke).
No apologies nessesary Kind Sir

Old 07-12-2010 | 10:06 AM
I was kind of eyeballing the coil pack. But the 4.2 maybe dead before brew could ship it to me.

Old 07-12-2010 | 07:42 PM
|
Technical Article Contributor
Went to the salvage yard this morning, - said I left something in the car that was dropped off last Saturday. Well, they didn't know where it was at first. I found the loader operator and he new exactly where it was, - what was left of it. I guess they had fun with it over the weekend, -a dozer track went right up the middle of it (loader guy said more than once lol)- and the shroud did not survive. Oh well, I tried.

I like these fans tho, -they haul ***. Thanks for the info MGD and Tumba (allotuh help you were ) lol. Just kidden Tumba, - Hey , I had to fill up my big screen TV full of schematic symbols, so I could read the damn things..... I couldn't remember half of them. Their all in my head somewhere.....Slackin!

Old 07-14-2010 | 01:34 AM
|
Originally Posted by Tumba
I was kind of eyeballing the coil pack. But the 4.2 maybe dead before brew could ship it to me.
Hey , if you want that coil pack, -say the word, -I'll send it.

Old 07-14-2010 | 01:45 AM
|
Yea, those fans are pretty nice, the more I look at them. Alright, I'll give them a shot. I can always go back, if I have to.

I want to find that shroud though. Like I said before, their just held by one bolt a piece, with the proper shroud.

I'll find a diagram of it, - here's one -

Thanks for that diagram MGD. I'm not sure I can use that PDF for a spec chart. Well, are they the same ? No what I'm saying ? I'm also upgrading to 200 Amp. I run a 1000 watt Cobra inverter as well,- and an Amplifier. So I want go heavy, along with upgrading all cables. Don't want anything getting hot.

Old 07-14-2010 | 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Yea, those fans are pretty nice, the more I look at them. Alright, I'll give them a shot. I can always go back, if I have to.

I want to find that shroud though. Like I said before, their just held by one bolt a piece, with the proper shroud.

I'll find a diagram of it, - here's one -

Thanks for that diagram MGD. I'm not sure I can use that PDF for a spec chart. Well, are they the same ? No what I'm saying ? I'm also upgrading to 200 Amp. I run a 1000 watt Cobra inverter as well,- and an Amplifier. So I want go heavy, along with upgrading all cables. Don't want anything getting hot.

Hi 'Brew.

Nice shroud. Check to see if there is a partition separating the volume of space between the two fans and the rad - without one there can be some contention for airflow when both are running. You can use a section of appropriately sized closed-cell neoprene weatherstrip or similar.. Use same to seal around the edges of th e shorud if there are any gross gaps. All in the name of efficiency.

Don't sweat the PDF - that was just an example meant to demonstrate how capable a smaller fan can be if it's properly designed and of high quality. By now, everyone knows my position on cheapo flea-bay knockoffs in as crucial an application like a truck's cooling system

Wiring - for sure over-engineer the system. Solder, heatshrink, waterproofing (I like liquid electrical tape myself), quality connectors, relays, sockets, fuse holders (fusible links or even breaker preferred), and high-strand-count heavy AWG wiring.

I absolutely know you have the skills, sir - no worries there.

Just make sure the dang things are spinnin' in the right direction

MGD

Quick Reply: Efan question.