Truck stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Truck stuck in park

Here's the problem. My truck is stuck in park. If the engine is running nothing will work to get it out of gear. What I've found so far is that if you turn the engine off and turn the key only far enough to unlock the steering wheel then you can put the transmission in neutral and start it and drive it normally as long as you don't put it back in park. This is only the first part of the problem.. the second part of the problem is that I noticed that I had no brake lights. Everything else works (turn signals,emergency flashers and back up lights) all work. I thought that it may be the brake light on/off switch so I replaced it. I found that the fuse for the brake lights was blown and replaced it but it blows as soon as the brake pedal is pressed. Any help that you folks could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-29-2001, 02:08 AM

The 1st problem is beyond me. I' m sorry but I have no clue.

I can tell you exactly where the problem is with the brake lights though. It definately involves an ungrounded wire in the brake light system.

I wish I could be more helpful but this should solve the braking issue if you can find the ungrounded wire.

If you note more about your truck, there may be some year specific issues such as recalls or TSB's on your transmission or the Ignition Cylinder or Switch that others have come accross.

-Adam

Old 06-29-2001, 08:24 AM
The reason the tranny stays in Park is that there is a safety lock that only releases the lever if you have the brakes applied. It needs the brake light voltage to release it, and of course there is no voltage because the fuse keeps blowing. The safety lock is why you have to put your foot on the brake pedal before you can move the shift lever out of park. The same voltage that lights the brake lights also releases the lever.

Anyway, you obviously have a short somewhere in your brake light wiring. That's what's blowing the fuse. When you fix it the brake lights will work, and the Park release will work too.

Have you recently done any mods to your truck? Added a hitch for example. Maybe you pinched the wiring. How about any work under the dash? Or new tail lights?

If not then it will require you to visually inspect the wiring for damage caused by vibration (chaffing).

If it comes down to this you need 2 things. One, a friend to help, and two you need a 12 volt trouble light. The thing that looks like a screwdriver with a sharp tip and a black wire coming out of the handle.

Remove the blown fuse and sustitute the trouble light. That is, hook the trouble light across the fuse holder contacts. You may need to use a couple of small pieces of wire to do this.

Now when you press on the brake pedal the trouble light will glow, but it will also limit the current flow so that no damage is done. While your friend holds the brake pedal down and watches the trouble light, start wiggling the wiring harness. When the light flickers or goes out you have found the bad spot in the harness. Expose the wires and find the actual short with your eyes. Put some good tape over it, a double wrap. Put the wires back in place, install a new fuse - problem solved.

Have fun, this can take awhile so be patient.

[This message has been edited by Hawkeye (edited 06-29-2001).]

Old 06-30-2001, 12:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats the trouble with the auto FORD has everthing riged so if there is a problem its one big pain to drive it until you fix it or take it in to have it fixed. I whish I would have stayed with a 5 speed so if my brake lights quit working I wouldn't have to do all the special stuff just to start it so I can drive it.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT Reg. cab
4.6 Triton Engine
4x2 3.55 rear end gear
sliding rear window
automatic keyless entry
white styleside short box

Quick Reply: Truck stuck in park