Parking lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001 | 08:50 AM
|
Parking lights

I'd like to wire my fogs into my parking lights before my truck is inspected. Where'es the easiest place to tap into it, and which wire is it? I'd prefer to tap in under the hood rather than by tghe switch, but I'll do whatever seems easier.

Actually, I've got the towing package. Would one of wires going into that work with the harness under the dash. Thanks

Old 08-02-2001 | 03:21 AM
clancyb

Regratably I don't have the Tow Package so I can't advise there.

I think that the easiest place is going to be the light switch itself. You could tap into the wires at the headlight but I'm not sure if your fod lights would receive power unless you headlights were on ***legally, your fog lights are only supposed to come on with your low beams.....blah,blah,blah***. You may look into tapping into the parking lights also but I havn't done this myself and I don't have a manual with me here tonight to refer to for wiring.

*kind of a funny thought about that. If there is only 1 hot and 1 ground coming out of the parking lights I'd have to imagine that turn signal relay would cause your fog lights to flash with your turn signals*

About tapping into the light switch; I've found this to be simple and clean. Although I wouldn't put such advise in an instruction manual, as long as the lights are grounded you can put the hot/power wire into the back of any terminal behind the light switch and see if/how it works.I haven't experienced any problems doing this. Some of the wires are hot all the time and some are hot with the parking lights. If your fog lights are powered all the time I guarantee that you'll leave them on regularly.

All of my aftermarket electrics are wired perminantly. I find the wire I need. Strip 3-5mm of plastic off with a razor and solder the new wire on.

Also; a great place to wire the relay is the Power Distibition Box on the passenger side firewall. There is plenty of power to be had there and it looks very clean. Much cleaner than the battery.

..........and so no.....and so on....and so on........

Quick Reply: Parking lights