2001 Expedition Battery site on Top??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001 | 02:24 PM
|
2001 Expedition Battery site on Top??

What color is the site thing on top of the battery suppose to be? I thought they were suppose to be green. I have killed my battery once by leaving a light on for a couple of days in the garage, jumped it, and drove it around for about 40 miles. I looked at the battery and the site glass on top is red. It does not seem like it is cranking as good as it was. Is this normal or did I screw the battery up? Thanks

Old 08-14-2001 | 05:26 PM
My guess is your battery's life is numbered. Time to look for a replacement, especially if you totally discharged it. Once you totally discharge a starting battery like we have in our trucks, it's permanently damaged.

Old 08-15-2001 | 09:50 AM
The sight can only be used _reliably_ until the vehicle is delivered. The automakers use it to make sure customers don't get vehicles with run-down batteries......

Old 08-15-2001 | 05:03 PM
Smile

Hi DFW

Dont give up yet. Sometimes a slow charge can bring back a deeply discharged battery. It would probably take alot more than 40mi driving to bring it back.

I have used many different type batteries with the state of charge "eye" They always showed green for full charge and faded out to "red" when discharged.

If the battery in your truck has removal fluid caps- take a reading for specific gravity etc. I use one of those cheapie bulb type testers, gives good enough indication of cells. Take before & after readings. Slow charge maybe 8-10 hrs. preferable with auto.charger. Also 12V DC meter gives good indication of state of charge.

Just my thoughts, if not practicle, then get another battery.

Good luck. OT

Old 08-15-2001 | 07:54 PM
It's true, you can actually recharge a fully discharged battery, if you're lucky. It might take a few days with the typical home-style charger, but it can be done. However, the life of the battery is severely diminished. It will get you going, hopefully long enough for you to buy a new one on sale.

If you plan on doing this, carry jumper cables or a cell phone to call for Roadside Assistance.

Old 08-15-2001 | 09:12 PM
They're a joke...

Those eyes are supposed to be accurate, but the one I had in my '90 Ranger lasted almost 3 years with a red eye after I first discovered it. Every time I checked the oil, I would peek at it, but like you said, I noticed zero difference in performance. When it finally died, the battery was about 5 years old.

So, long story short, it could last a week, or it could last years.

Just my two cents to help muddy up the issue.

-Joe-

Quick Reply: 2001 Expedition Battery site on Top??