Amateur and CB Radios

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013 | 09:45 PM
|
Amateur and CB Radios

If a guy was going to install amateur and CB radios in a new 2013 F-150, where's the best place to tap in to the electrical system?

I'll probably run good sized wires directly connected to the battery with a relay somewhere along the way. The desire is for relay to be active whenever the key is either in run or accessory.

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2013 | 11:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The quick way, use an add-a-fuse in the cab fuse panel ( BCM, Body Control Module ) , slot #43 or 44.

The 2012 EVTM shows these as hot in run or accy, and unused.
- 2013 MY could be different.

The other fuses that are off the Battery saver relay are Fuse # 32 and # 38. These would be hot until the door is opened ( just like the radio / power window circuits ). Another option for powering the relay coil.

This would give you an easy place to add the power for the relay coil.

So far under the hood in the BJB ( Battery Junction Box ) fuse # 54 is a hot in run / start ( no assy )

Aside from these fuses, that I found doing a quick look through cell 13, the others are hot at all times ( and micro or FET controlled ).

Old 04-22-2013 | 02:54 PM
|
Thanks for the info!

Old 04-25-2013 | 08:39 PM
Hmm...

I don't think I'd run my 2m 65 watt Yaesu off that. I'd do a direct link to the battery or use a junction box if you are going to use multiple radios. Make sure you use the right size fuses! You don't want enough resistance to cause a fire.

There's a thread (https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...-fuse-box.html) that talks about a 12 volt junction box. I still need to work on my birds nest of wiring.

Old 04-26-2013 | 09:52 PM
Multiple Radios

You talk about multiple radios with ham gear. You need to go directly to the battery. Recommend minimum of 8 gauge wire with 40 amp fuses. Make sure you run a red/black set not just a red power. Check out K0BG.com for all you need to know about power and grounding. What you can get away with on a 5 watt CB will get you all sorts of problems with 65 watt ham gear. I have a few pictures of my ham install in my 2007 truck on here. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2013 | 10:45 PM

I did not think anything more than Std CD radio.

If you are going with a higher wattage radio, the current inrush would cause issues with the smaller AWG wire in the factory fuse panel.

If this is what you are after, use one of the above circuits to trigger a 40A relay and go direct ( as posted above ) to a set screw maxi fuse holder / ANL fuse holder and then to the battery.
The sizing is over what the units needs for power operationally, but the current inrush is what you are covering for.

Some ideas on how to run the wire into the cab and the setup for the fuse holders could be had from the 2009 + My or Audio subforums.
- Using the same wiring info for the AMPs on an aftermarket audio setup will be very similar. Might even want to look at one of the power cells ( cap option ) for the unit if it is big enough.

Quick Reply: Amateur and CB Radios