Wiring for electric exhaust cutout?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020 | 03:22 PM
|
Wiring for electric exhaust cutout?

2019 F150 5.0L. I'm looking at adding an exhaust cutout that will have a open/close toggle switch inside.

What is the best way to wire this? Into the fuse box? What number fuse to use that is just key on? Should I use a add a fuse tap? What gauge wiring? Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by ras_F15.0; 01-15-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-15-2020 | 11:03 AM
|
Anyone? Will be installing soon.

Old 01-16-2020 | 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by ras_F15.0
2019 F150 5.0L. I'm looking at adding an exhaust cutout that will have a open/close toggle switch inside.

What is the best way to wire this? Into the fuse box? What number fuse to use that is just key on? Should I use a add a fuse tap? What gauge wiring? Thanks in advance for the help!
You need to get ahold of the wiring schematics...there vehicles are rolling computers...…..and if you don't have an "unused fuse" (which are indicated in your owners manual, then you need to do "professional type" wiring...…. which IMHO would include a relay with separate power feed after you ID the circuit you want to use. Fuse taps...… no, only if you want electrical issues (in most cases). In my LT, when I hooked up aux backup lights, I found a circuit that was for the 4x4 option (which I do not have) and used a fuse tap on that one.....

Old 01-16-2020 | 07:56 PM
|
Originally Posted by beechkid
You need to get ahold of the wiring schematics...there vehicles are rolling computers...…..and if you don't have an "unused fuse" (which are indicated in your owners manual, then you need to do "professional type" wiring...…. which IMHO would include a relay with separate power feed after you ID the circuit you want to use. Fuse taps...… no, only if you want electrical issues (in most cases). In my LT, when I hooked up aux backup lights, I found a circuit that was for the 4x4 option (which I do not have) and used a fuse tap on that one.....
Fuse #37 is unused inside the passenger kick panel. I tested it, only hot with key on. It has a 20a micro fuse. I'm thinking I can tap into this. I also ordered the remote kit thinking it will be better than figuring out a good place for the toggle switch but now I'm wondering if I need to find a fuse under the hood since the receiver may need to be there as well.

Quick Reply: Wiring for electric exhaust cutout?