Small problem = Big bucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001 | 05:17 PM
|
Question Small problem = Big bucks

About 2 months ago my truck's eletrical system started acting crazy. Sometimes the heat/AC blower would continue to run even after the switch was turned off and the key removed.Same thing with the radio.Sometimes the parking lights would not turn off even with the switch.Also, occasionally, the batteries would go dead overnight.
One rainy morning I had to jump my truck off and about 30 seconds later while the truck was still idiling the starter decided to re-engage. It re-engaged 2 more times before I could shut it off.Since this episode I've replaced the damaged starter and flex plate. I've also replaced the ignition switch and starter relay. My truck seemed to be just fine untill yesterday. The blower would not stop, nor would the wipers work! And this morning the batterys were dead. I'm afraid to jump it off.
This post is long but I sure could use some help if anyone has ever seen a similar problem

Old 12-01-2001 | 12:43 AM
Call a preist, it's possessed

Just joking, that is a strange porblem and elctrical problems are never a small problem in my book. Maybe someone else will come along with the right fix for ya. Good luck

Old 12-02-2001 | 03:07 PM
|
That priest idea sounds pretty good KYFordFreak. I would sure like to exorcize the evil gremlin that from time lives in my trucks electrical system.

Maybe someone has seen this before and can help me out. Until then I'll just hope it stays dry. ( when it's rainy or damp I have the most problems)

Chris

Old 12-02-2001 | 08:19 PM
Those are some pretty interesting problems. You should call Ford and see if there are any TSB's. I would say you are getting water in a computer somewhere.

-Jon

Old 12-03-2001 | 06:54 PM
plantman
try a search for "GEM module" & see if the symptoms are similar. I have not had a problem but this sounds like some posts I have read.
good luck

Old 12-03-2001 | 10:47 PM
Talking

when you have this problem, check for water on the gem board it's located behind the fuse box, if there is water you may have a leak in the winshield.

there is a tsb on this site and also water in the transfer case will short sensor and cause problems with the same gem board, but it affects wipers and dash warning lights.

Old 12-05-2001 | 10:02 PM
|
Thanks for the info. 'redlariet'. I now believe that water on or near the GEM board is the cause of all my problems. But I 'm not sure how it's getting inside because I've never noticed any water inside my windshield. Sometime this weekend I will take the garden hose and try to find a leak.

As for water in the transfer case, this should not be a problem since my truck is 2wd

----------------------------------------------------------

'98 F-150 Supercab Longbed 4.6 (bone dry stock)
'00 Excursion Limited w/Superchip
'90 E-350 cube van

Quick Reply: Small problem = Big bucks