interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interior lights

Does anybody know of any easy places to tap into the dashlights? I want to add a couple of lights in the cab and be able to control them with the dash lights. 2001 F150 thanks Odie

Old 12-08-2001, 08:16 PM
Thumbs up

I have tapped into the wires going to the ashtray light under the cupholder (12V) , BUT...make sure those extra lights don't draw a lot of current. Try using LED's, they don't draw much current and come in all colours - even white. What's the project?

Old 12-09-2001, 06:38 PM
Taps for Dash lights.

Check your owners manual in the fuse section and there should be a fuse in there you can tap into. Napa has an adapter so you can remove the fuse, find out with your test light or multimeter which side is hot with the lights on, then install the adapter on the fuse and it has a spade lug to connect a slip-on terminal and then add an external fuse holder then connect that to your accessory.
Mike C.

Old 12-09-2001, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't tap into the FUSE BOX.......someone just posted a thread last week .....I think 98 Screamer, about how he had a FIRE because he used a fuse tap.

Use a fused link and solder onto a "Hot" lead, I would go either with the radio, or the ashtray leads. Its very important for the longevity of you truck to do this right.

Old 12-12-2001, 11:24 PM
Tapping into the dashlights

Maybe I didn't make this clear enough.
W H E N you tap into a dash light fuse, you are going to A d d a fuse holder A N D install a fuse into that holder. The wire that is tapped into the dash fuse is N O T allowing power through the original dash light fuse to power up the accessory. If you take the time to check the wiring in back of the fuse block, you will find that most of the wiring is 18 gauge, very small! You might find some 16 or even 14, and of course if you have anything that involves major power, it will be installed under the hood in the Power Distribution Center, with large size wire!
If you are going to power up some large interior lighting with the dash lights, maybe you should use a relay to power up the accessory and the dash light fuse to turn on the relay.
I do a lot of this at work. I have never, repeat, N E V E R had any problems with connecting into dash, front parking, tail, stop or interior light circuits. Some things used relays, some were streight connections to the factory wiring.
As long as the current requirements for the accessories does not exceed the maximum fuse rating for the dash lights, you can connect accessories to the circuit.
Mike C.

Old 11-05-2002, 12:05 AM
Hey Guys,
I would like to add a couple of small reading lights above the back seat of my supercab. Could I just tap into the wires that power the factory reading lights. Also use the same grounds? The lights would mainly be so my kids can use them occasionally in the back seat to read or something. Would probably not be used at the same time as the factory map lights. Would this be a problem? Any info appreciated. Thanks
Matt

Old 11-12-2002, 11:12 PM
btt

Quick Reply: interior lights