Turn signal really quick . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn signal really quick . . .

So I get in my truck yesterday and everything is fine. I turn right and the signal is normal. Then I turn left and the signal is going twice as fast as normal . . . really annoying.

I check it out and the left turn signal on the front headlight is working (at double the speed) but the left rear has nothing for turn signal. The right side is fine for both.

Is this just an indicator of a burnt out bulb in the left rear or is it something to do with the control box I read about (gotta love the search feature)? The left turn signal does still light up on the dash unlike some others who have had similar problems.

I really hope it's the 25 cent solution . . .

Old 12-30-2001, 01:06 PM
When your turn signal starts flashing real quick. It's telling you, you have a bulb going bad. When the turn light indicator comes on an stays on. It means you have a blown bulb. Real easy fix, replace the bad bulb an your on your way.

Old 12-30-2001, 05:39 PM
Yep, i second that. The flasher has a curved metal strip that heats up and bends breaking the circuit. When it cools off it comes back down, completes the circuit and lights the turn signal. This all happens several times a second. When a bulb burns out the resistance decreases making that metal strip heat up much faster, increasing the speed of the blinker.

-Jon

Old 12-30-2001, 09:21 PM
Thanx guys, I'll check out the bulb tommorrow. I'm glad it's not the expensive problem

Old 12-31-2001, 09:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
okay, time for the potentially bad news. If a new bulb doesn't fix the problem, you need to check the flasher. If that isn't it your multi-function switch is starting to go (which is apparently becoming a problem in our trucks as well as Rangers)

Multifunction switch replacement will be a little over $100

Old 12-31-2001, 10:55 AM
My driver side front blinker quit working too, except my bulb doesn't flash. The parking lamp works just fine, but the turn signal does not. The indicator on the dash doesn't flash either (usually when a bulb is burnt out it flashes at double speed)

So i have bought 2 different brands of bulbs, neither of which seemed to work. So i took the bulb from the passenger side out and put it in the drivers side, didn't work. Put it back in the passenger side, works no problem. So it's not the bulb right.

Talked to a parts guy at my local dealership, he says it's the socket you plug the bulb into then. (note: parking lamp still works ? how could that be) so i take the socket from the passenger side out and put it in the drivers side, didn't work. Put it back in the passenger side, works no problem.

So now they are saying the wiring must have a short. (note: parking lamp still works ? how could that be)

What is this about a Multifunction switch? and where is it?

I want to make sure the yahoo's at the dealership dont' overcharge me for this to be fixed...

thanks
whyowhy

Old 12-31-2001, 11:17 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy

I figured the truck knew something I didn't. So, when my left turnsignal started blinking really fast I took it to mean I should speed up in the turn. Then the right signal started blinking fast too. I was fishtailing through all my turns and was barely in control of the truck. I had to stop using the signals altogether.

My brother rode with me last week.
He said, "Why don't you signal?".
I said, " Oh, you want me to signal, huh."

When we got where we was going, he was crying and had done pee'd himself. (He's 38)

Old 12-31-2001, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know the exact purpose of the multifunction switch, but I do know that headlights, hi-beams, turn signals, 4-ways all go through it. If you let it go too long, your headlights may also stop working intermitantly. It is located in the steering column.

Old 12-31-2001, 07:04 PM
As it turned out, it was just the bulb . . . yipeee!

Thanx for the help everyone!

Quick Reply: Turn signal really quick . . .