79' F150 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002 | 11:59 AM
|
Unhappy 79' F150 won't start

1979 F150 Trailer Special with a C6 trany. New battery, Key turns on lights light up, when key is turned to on i get a rapid clicking sound (have smacked the starter a few times) still the same thing, after a few seconds of this i turn off the key turn it back on and get very dim lights on dash and NO radio & NO more clicking. (if i wait 20minutes it happens all over) if i inspect the little box that connects to the +term of battery that has all the fusible links (Starter-realy?) comming from it, it is a little warm with the positive terminal battery wire connection (OF THE BOX) HOT (IS THIS BOX a Starter-realy?) The truck was starting fine a few weeks ago. Also everyonce in a while after the truck is warm, @ eather idle or while running it will just DIE, if i stop place in park it will turn right over again and might not happen for another week or so.

Last edited by crossd; 05-14-2002 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-17-2002 | 12:02 PM
It sounds like a bad solenoid (starter relay) the problem you described happens quite offten with older fords. I always kept a spare in my truck (they're pretty cheap) other than that check your connections at your battery, if they are corroded or loose, it will cause simmilar problems.

good luck,
Ben

Old 05-20-2002 | 11:41 AM
|
Smile

Great thanks! It started with the first key turn. I also bought a spare to keep in truck.

Question:
Could the fact that this part went bad also contribute to frequent staling while driving. Everyonce in a while the truck will just die. I then pull over put it into park and restart it with no problems.

Thanks in Advance
DC

Old 05-28-2002 | 05:22 PM
oldness

It's old

Quick Reply: 79' F150 won't start