HEC Instrument Cluster Diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HEC Instrument Cluster Diagnostics

Does anyone have the descriptions for the odometer display while in the Instrument Cluster Diagnostic Test Mode???
Have abreviated list for '99 Mustang would like to find descriptions for 2001 Supercrew.

Old 07-20-2002, 09:15 AM
most of the stuff is the same, and dont get all tripped up on a DTC 5284 if you see it.

Old 07-20-2002, 12:39 PM
jefflaws:

I have read where you said before not to worry about the DTC 5284 (oil sender unit) and how not to worry about it when you see it. I have seen it on mine. I know my oil pressure is working so is that just a bug or something and comes with that fault from the factory?

Old 07-20-2002, 01:40 PM
Running the test with the key on and engine off makes the cluster see no oil pressure.

Old 07-20-2002, 10:53 PM
How do I make my odometer into a tach? I saw the procedure posted somewhere once and I thought you had to hold the reset button in and release it as soon as you turn the key on. Is that correct? I must be doing something wrong.

Old 07-21-2002, 10:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
andy davis,

You can get common code for Ford for free by down loading the Ford specific pdf from Actron. They also have a page to look up codes on the fly.
http://www.actron.com/cgi-bin/web_st..._id=506896_647

If you want the complete listing of all the ford ones, you can get a book of them for 65.00, but it is not really worth it, IMHO
http://www.jendham.com/Handbooks/For...02_Version.asp

Texcowboy9,
Press and hold the trip botton, and turn your truck on. Hold the trip button in, until it reads test. Then you push the button to scroll the menu of items until it says rpm I think is what the display says.
The links are :
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/99hec.htm
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/dtcodes.htm

Old 07-21-2002, 11:58 AM
Cool

Thanks Scully, a cool feature and the price is right!

Old 07-21-2002, 12:26 PM
jefflaws:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Running the test with the key on and engine off makes the cluster see no oil pressure."

That makes sence to me, but my question is when the truck is running the code DTC5254 is still there even though the oil pressure gage itself is working. Is that something common as like a bug in the software that causes the code to be there? Thanks

Old 07-21-2002, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
jefflaws:
"Running the test with the key on and engine off makes the cluster see no oil pressure."

That makes sence to me, but my question is when the truck is running the code DTC5254 is still there even though the oil pressure gage itself is working. Is that something common as like a bug in the software that causes the code to be there? Thanks
I did not think that codes clear on thier own. Either you need a code scaner like the Actron that I have to erase it, or you need to clear the computer to clear the code. I did not think that this went away on it's own.

Old 07-21-2002, 03:38 PM
That test isnt even meant to be run on a cluster when it's installed in a vehicle. Its a bench test type thing. The fact that someone discovered it and made it public just complicates things.

Old 07-21-2002, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by jefflaws
That test isnt even meant to be run on a cluster when it's installed in a vehicle. Its a bench test type thing. The fact that someone discovered it and made it public just complicates things.
I was actually asking about in general, not specific to this.

a code one set by 2 times dirving is not cleared once the problem is cured. The code need to be cleared by a scaner or by clearing the computer I thought.....That is more so what I was asking.

Old 07-21-2002, 07:08 PM
Im not sure because there isnt much documentation available to us at ford. You would have to ask someone that works for visteon to get a definate answer. I would suspect that either it keeps the code until the power is lost to it, or a certain number of cycles without the condition present.

Old 07-21-2002, 07:33 PM
SSCULLY:
jefflaws:

Thanks to you both. I figure the cluster read out is there for a reason for some type of test and diagnostics or why else would it be there? And of course Ford don't want to give to much information on it because, even though I love my Ford truck, the company itself is no different then any other to try and suck as much money from its customers as possible and provide as little help as possible. Like SSCULLY had mentioned in a post before you can "buy" a book for $65.00 to explane Ford codes. That is such BS, Ford should provide it to customers for free or at least for "cost" only which would be somewhere around $5.00.

SSCULLY you mentioned something about the Actron scanner. Does it read only generic codes or does it also read P0 and P1 codes? How much does it cost? Thanks for any information. One of the biggest reasons I love this site is I can get answers to almost any question I can think of. Try calling Ford and doing that

Old 07-21-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
I figure the cluster read out is there for a reason for some type of test and diagnostics or why else would it be there?

It is there for a reason, so that the company that makes and refurbishes them (Visteon) can diagnose them. Those codes in that thing are not OBDII codes by far.

In the field, there is no pinpoint test or diagnostic procedure that uses that test. We (ford) access the HEC and its test functions through the SCP and ISO9141 datalink that visteon built into it for us.

Old 07-21-2002, 07:58 PM
jefflaws:

Thanks again for the information. I know the cluster dont read out any OBDII codes. So you guys dont use it for anything? There is some useful information with the cluster, or maybe I should say some "neat" information. The tach, MPH etc is kind of neat to use.

Quick Reply: HEC Instrument Cluster Diagnostics