cruise, BRAKES, HILL, OUCHHHH

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruise, BRAKES, HILL, OUCHHHH

i am driving cruise 130km, contruction zone, press brakes down to 50 km, right after construction zone, steep climb, i resume cruise to 130 km, the engine light on dashboard starts flashing (i feel the engine exceeding rpm allowance)....i am in panic.... i pull to rhe side
open hood,
everything alrite
after that i kept on driving 400 km
i just got here
what should i do
HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Old 09-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How high of RPM's did it get to?

What kind of truck/motor?

Old 09-25-2008, 10:14 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Go get the codes read. Autozone does it free. Whenever the check engine light comes on, it stores a trouble code.

We need to know the year, engine, and transmission in your truck.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok, so you had the cruise set at 80 mph, slowed down the 31 mph and then just hit the resume again?

If so, then basically, that told the cruise control that "I want to get back to 80 mph as soon as possible", so it basically flat footed the throttle. What probably happened is you were already going 31 mph in 2nd or even third, then the trans gets the command for power, so it downshifted to 1st gear, then you over reved for a split second and the computer cut the ignition to keep your engine from blowing up, then once your revs came back down and your speed came up, the trans shifted and you gained back your speed at a rate the engine could keep up with...

Lesson in this deal..... Gain back your speed manually until you get closer to where you had your cruise set, THEN hit the 'resume' button....

At least, that's my take on the scenario as you described it.....

You probably didn't hurt anything, and if the engine light is still on, get it scanned to see what it is and then reset and see what happens....

Mitch

Old 09-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Something happened, trouble code stored. get it read and go from there. Even if the light is off now, the code is stored. Get it read, turn the light off. If the light comes back on after a day or so of driving around, get it read again. If its the same trouble code, then you have a problem. Thats when you need to look into a fix for the problem. That is how any CEL should be treated. I am sure your truck is fine. Mitch gave a pretty good discription on what *might* have happened.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Since I haven't got a clue what we're working on, I'll say just start replacing stuff at random, you'll get it sooner or later.

Frickin' A man, is it really asking too much? Year, make, model, engine?

Old 09-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Quintin
Since I haven't got a clue what we're working on, I'll say just start replacing stuff at random, you'll get it sooner or later.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

Old 09-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by quintin
since i haven't got a clue what we're working on, i'll say just start replacing stuff at random, you'll get it sooner or later.

Frickin' a man, is it really asking too much? Year, make, model, engine?
+2!

Old 09-25-2008, 06:09 PM

Does it really matter ??

Its a CEL. Procedure is pretty much the same. Get it pulled, find out WTF, delete code, see if it comes back, then fix problem. I would do it if I had a 5.4 Ford, a CL 600 Benz, a 1500 Ram, or anything else. You need to pull the code and find out what it says.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
flashing check engine light indicates a misfire..........

Old 09-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
flashing check engine light indicates a misfire..........
didn't read the flashing part.... :o

Old 09-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
Does it really matter ??

Its a CEL. Procedure is pretty much the same.
When I can make a pretty damn good guess at to what the problem is on certain specific model years and engines, yeah, I think it matters.

Do you order parts by telling the counter-people, "I need a set of plugs, a couple of coils, and an air filter...no, don't worry about what it is, it doesn't really matter. It's an internal combustion engine, its operation is pretty much the same no matter what it is."

Do you get a service manual for just any vehicle when you're working? I mean, say you have an electrical problem, a short to ground popping a fuse. The procedure is pretty much the same, isolate the components/circuits at fault and track down the questionable part. Nevermind that you may have a Navigator wiring diagram, but you're working on an F150.

Yeah, knowing what I'm working on, I think it matters.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does the computer see low oil pressure? going up a steep hill with a lot of RPM could starve the engine from oil for a bit if the oil level was a little low. That is my guess.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:33 AM
When I can make a pretty damn good guess at to what the problem is on certain specific model years and engines, yeah, I think it matters.

Do you order parts by telling the counter-people, "I need a set of plugs, a couple of coils, and an air filter...no, don't worry about what it is, it doesn't really matter. It's an internal combustion engine, its operation is pretty much the same no matter what it is."

Do you get a service manual for just any vehicle when you're working? I mean, say you have an electrical problem, a short to ground popping a fuse. The procedure is pretty much the same, isolate the components/circuits at fault and track down the questionable part. Nevermind that you may have a Navigator wiring diagram, but you're working on an F150.

Yeah, knowing what I'm working on, I think it matters.

Have a bad day bud ? Calm down.

The point I am making is, are you personally going over to fix it ? need to bring the right tools ? That would explain why you want to know year/make/and model. Otherwise, the prosess of checking a CEL is the SAME. I know you have a wealth of knowledge, I never doubt that, but that fact is, even if you "think" you know what happened, even if your 99.9% sure, there is still a chance it is something else. To tell him how to fix whatever it is you assume, your still doing him no good with the CEL. No matter the car, no matter the circumstance, no matter the day, if you get a CEL, you pretty much are doing the same thing, CHECKING IT. No matter how good you are, you need to pull the codes, find the problem, then check to see if the problem persists. If it does, the you can come back to the site, tell someone like yourself what the problem is, and then you can go about explaining what actually happened, and how to fix it. No matter how good your are, if you don't actually know the trouble codes, your simply guessing (no matter how educated that guess might be). I could bring up about a million examples, but I think you get my point.

I'll give it to you, you could tell him the most likely cause, and the most common fix for that, but you cannot guarentee him that the CEL is "this" and the fix is "that" and you will have no problems. Thats like customers wanting "over the phone diagnosis", its impossible to be accurate, I tell them what most likely happened, but we need to see it to see whats going on.

Quick Reply: cruise, BRAKES, HILL, OUCHHHH