SuperTruck or Stay with Magnaflow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002 | 05:45 PM
|
SuperTruck or Stay with Magnaflow?

I have an 02 SuperCrew with 4.6. Did the Superchip, Airaid intake and magnaflow exhaust from the original "Y" exiting right before the rear tire, just like the Supertruck. I did not lose any low end torque and even gained a little bit. The sound is good but not as low as I want it. I used to have an 01 Supercab with 5.4 and I had a Flowmaster 50 series with deltaflow. My question is, I think the Gibson Supertruck would give me that low rumble but will I lose low end torque? If so, then I am sticking with my setup and maybe just change the factory "Y" to an aftermarket one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-22-2002 | 02:39 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Re: SuperTruck or Stay with Magnaflow?

Originally posted by Newbie54
I have an 02 SuperCrew with 4.6. Did the Superchip, Airaid intake and magnaflow exhaust from the original "Y" exiting right before the rear tire, just like the Supertruck. I did not lose any low end torque and even gained a little bit.
Is it you did not loose any Tq, or you gained some TQ ?
You state it both ways here, I just wanted some clarification.

When you look at the Dyno sheet, what was the after ( and a before if you have one, else are you comparing this to stock ).

Also was the dyno after all 3 mods, or just after the xhst change out ?

I have the ST, but did a whole line of mods without individual dyno pulls, so I cannot say 100% that the ST did not cause a low end TQ loss, but over all I am up for the mods done when compared to the stock numbers ( from Frord ).

I am actually considering the Bassani cat back, dual pipe forward dump xhst, but still considering it at a list price of $ 871.00.

Still thinking that spending the $$ on the Bassani, and then another $100.00 on the dyno pull is it worth the money ?
Don't know the answer to this myself.

Old 12-22-2002 | 10:22 PM
|
I would have to say that based on seat-of-the-pants meter, I did not loose any low end torque. I raced a stock F150 SuperCab with 5.4 and beat it. I would have to say that I am quicker than a stock truck that is a little bit lighter and has bigger engine.
The reason for this post is because I am looking for a deeper tone exhaust and maintain the current low end toque that I have. Would Gibson SuperTruck rob the low end torque out of a 4.6? I know that the SuperTruck has a good low rumble. I just don't know if I will lose any low end torque? If it does not rob any low end toque, then I will switch to it since I can always sell my current setup(Magnaflow) to a friend who has a very similar truck. Any advise would be appreciated.

Old 12-23-2002 | 11:33 PM
Newbie54

.....this is what I did on my truck. I put a magnaflow muffler in place of the stock muffler and them put an echo tube on the end of the tail pipe. The echo tube does help with making it deeper sounding. just my .02........

Old 12-24-2002 | 01:20 AM
|
Thanks for the reply. I will stay with my current setup. Since I work at a Ford dealership (Service Portion), there is a good chance of someone's truck pulling in with a Gibson exhaust on a 4.6 I will just test it from there and make my decision based on that. No, I will not abuse the customer's ride. It would be a simple burp of the gas pedal and from that I can tell if there is a gain in the low end since I drive stock 4.6s all day.

Old 12-29-2002 | 05:45 PM

I just ordered a Gibson super truck. Know anybody who could put it on cheap for me? You could then listen to *mine* heh.

Should be here in about a week.

Old 12-29-2002 | 06:31 PM
Install

The ST is easy to install. I did it in 30 minutes. Cut of pipe at old joint of muffler/y-pipe. Remove old muffler from hangers, hang new muffler, bolt right up to pipe, attach tips, enjoy!!!

John

Old 12-31-2002 | 12:55 AM
|
Well, hapynzap, I got mine installed at Mad Hatters on Broadway/Gilbert. I don't know how much they charge, but give them a call. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: SuperTruck or Stay with Magnaflow?