will this work

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002 | 11:23 PM
|
will this work

i want to make my own exhaust system for 1 5.8 l on a 1993. can i take everything off after the cat then put in a y pipe and have dual exits in front of the rear wheels. I want to straight pipe it but i am afraid it will get rid of too much back pressure. If this won't work i would like suggestions.

Old 12-24-2002 | 12:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Can you clarify something.

I see take off from the 2nd cats back, and put in a Y pipe, no muffler, and dual forwad dumps ?

Did I mis-read that ?

It sounds more like you are looking for a X pipe, and straight pipes dumping in front of the rear tire...did I mis read that ?

One thing, you may not like the pop sound that some say you get with the shorter pipe on straights.

Are you going for loud dual xhst ?

Old 12-24-2002 | 12:56 PM
|
after the second cat i want to take all of the stock exhaust off. And replace it with a y pipe, and 2 short exhaust pipes that exit in front of the rear passenger tire. i am going for a mix of performance and sound.

Old 12-30-2002 | 03:28 AM
Make sure you hook it up right...you can loose a lot of low end power!

Old 01-01-2003 | 10:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

So you are looking for dual forward exit straight pipes ?

If I got this correct, read on, else try hitting me up along side the head.

Rather then putting in the Y pipe to create the dual forward exit pipes, try a look at a magnaflow X pipe, taking off the stock Y pipe, and then run the straight pipes.

One word of caution ( actually 2 )
This might jack up the flow of the gas, and you might actually loose tq, rather then gaining. This might be due to how the pipes are bent at the muffler shop.

Also that short of a run, you might get more of a pop sound then loud tone ( more of a cosmetic thing, then performance ).

I have never done a muffler shop special for a kit, due to the fact that they bend it on site, and don't have a way of flow testing it there, before they put it on.

I have always stuck with a kit, that I know has been flow tested.

If you want a louder system, you would want to look at a straight pipe kit that has been flow tested.

Sorry for the delay in the reply, and the somewhat bad news, that is if I read your posting correctly.

Quick Reply: will this work