What is true duals?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002 | 02:06 PM
|
What is true duals?

Sorry guys, Im new here and Im in the dark on some subjects. Whats true duals mean? Does that mean the muffler has dual outlets, and not just a y-pipe connection?

Old 12-28-2002 | 02:57 PM
Welcome to the boards

True Duals is when you have 2 of everything on the exhaust system. 2 pipes, catalytic converters, and mufflers. No Y split behind the cat and not behind the muffler either. 2 of everything, that is why they call it true duals. Also, if done properly, true duals can enhance the performance and mileage of your truck or car. My uncle has a 98 F150 with the 5.4 in it. He has true duals on it, only because he towes a 4000lb fishing boat. It really does help it out. Anyway true duals is 2 of everything, pipes, cats and mufflers. Hope this helps

Old 12-31-2002 | 01:51 PM
Explained well by "91", but...

You really don't need the mufflers. At least on the newer F150's that have 4 catalytic converters. It isn't really that loud.

The best way to explain true duals is that the left and right exhaust banks never combine into a single pipe then split off again.

When I totalled my 99 4.6L 4x4 S-Cab, it came to rest on the passengers side door and was still running. It took me a second to get my bearings since I had been hit in the back of the head with one of those little propane cylinders that you use for camping stoves and heaters.

Well, I got the engine shut off and when the tow truck finally righted her, we waited a good bit of time before trying to crank her up. She was sitting in a pine thicket and the easiest way to get it out would have been to back her up. When I cranked her up, smoke just blew out of the drivers side exhaust very badly, but none out of the pass. side. (it looked pretty cool, though).

Anyway, I now have an 02 5.4L FX4 4x4 SuperCab. Same type of exhaust and even the same fuel mileage.

Creole

Old 01-01-2003 | 06:43 PM
If you want true dual exhaust do like i did. Cut your back cats off and run a 2.50" pipe all the way behind your back tires and put 2 stainless steel tips on . Most people thanks that you cant cut your cats off , but the truth is if you leave one cat on each side it will run just fine(The tech guy at my local ford place told me this). Also if you want it loud do this. Because with your exhaust like this your truck will sound just like a harley.

Quick Reply: What is true duals?