Stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003 | 07:02 PM
|
Lightbulb Stupid question

Will a single in/ single out 3" catback hurt the low end power of my 4.2L? I'm interested in the Flowmaster Force II 3" single exhaust. If it's going to hurt my low end torque, I need to know before I order it. Also, are the MAC air intake kits any good? TIA.

Old 01-01-2003 | 07:22 PM
THE 3" would hurt your low end i belive espec on the V-6, I dont think you want to go anything larger than 2.75, I have 2.50 with my 40 series flowmaster, and the macs, I have herd great things about them, I just got one off ebay similar but it was a little cheaper because I broke my airaid, and it works just as good as my airaid and looks better too. Its here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1875930742 but when I got mine it was an anodized red and was only 80 bucks but he raised his prices the day after I got mine, and now he also sells polished ones. But it still is a great deal, it is NOT a POS, I really like it and honestly I think it works just as good as the airaid I had. Ill post some pics of it installed, but I have to get a new battery for my digital camera first. Here is the polished one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1875930940
I love the intake, so just get that or a mac, dont spend the money for an airaid, the others do just as good and look better!!
Hope this helps!!

Old 01-01-2003 | 07:44 PM
|
Thanks sdf150guy. Ya those MAC's don't cost nearly as much as an AIRAID or something similar. So, I'll get the MAC. I wonder what catback that I could get though? I don't like Gibson that much because I hear there mufflers turn into rattling rust buckets after a couple years. I sorta like the looks of that dual Flowmaster Force II that exits behind each tire. But, I'm not sure how that'll look on a 2wd though. It has two 2-1/2" pipes on it. Do you think that would hurt low end on a v6? I dunno if it will. But if anyone knows of a catback for a v6 that costs $300 or less give me a holla. Oh, what about a MAC catback? Are they any good?

Old 01-01-2003 | 10:50 PM
I dont know about the MAC catback. The flowmaster with 2.5 duals i dont think would hurt your low end, as far as exhaust system i dont know. I had that problem when I was trying to decide to because there aren't as many options for the v-6. I decided to get the flow because I like the sound and my cousin has had one with no problems and I like the sound of it. My exhaust installed was 230 which included 40 series muffler, 2.5" pipe and a 45 deg exit. I basically told them what I wanted and they custom make the pipes. For the 50 series it was going to be like 250 but I wanted the exhaust to be loud. Are you looking for sound or power?? What are you looking for??
Hope I can help!!

Old 01-01-2003 | 11:26 PM
|
I'd like sound AND power if I can get them both. I really like Flowmaster too. But I just want something different. The only problem is that I keep going around in circles on trying to find something different I like that would best suit my needs. I've had an original 40's series SI/DO Flowmaster system for over 2 years now. It's in ok shape and all except for a little rust on the chrome tips., But I lost my low end power when I had the system installed. I'm looking for an exhaust that will give me my low end power back and sound good in the process. There is a Borla catback that I found at Jeg's. It looks like the Gibson Supertruck, but it has a Borla Turbo style muffler, ss intercooled tips, and the whole catback is 304 aircraft quality stainless steel. It has 2-1/2" pipes exiting before the passenger's side rear tire. The only problem I found with it, is that it states that it's for the 4.6 and 5.4 engines. Does'nt say anything about the 4.2? But if the Gibson Supertruck will work with the 4.2, should'nt this Borla system work too? I mean, they are basically the same setup and all. So it should work I'm guessing. I'll give them a call and see. But if you have any suggestions, you know where to find me. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2003 | 11:55 AM
Thoes are the exact same problems I have had. I have my flowmaster, but really wanted a borla but it says its only for the 4.6 and 5.4. So I ended up going with the flowmaster otherwise I would have the borla. You might try to contact the company directly from their website www.borla.com and see what they have to say. I mean if the Gibson is universal why cant the borla be?? I dont know.... But I DEFINATELY know where your comming from...

Quick Reply: Stupid question